Tankman

Spinnin' Briggs

Tankman

Recently picked up a Work Horse which I'm cleanin', fixin', this that and the other.

Replaced the starter (plastic) gear. When I replaced the starter I used a socket head bolt for the top bolt. Made replacement much easier, removing the bolt was tedious to say, ugh.

The 16 hp Briggs Twin engine is difficult to start, but does. Guess the Horse was "sleeping" in a barn for 'bout ten years.

When I turn the engine off the crank spins slowly before coming to a full stop. No sound of firing, just a quiet spinning. First I ran into this "condition", what might be going on?

Forty years ago, old Stallions, Techy or whatever engines, then Kohlers! My best behaved engines!

I did manage to get my '90 520-8 Onan 20hp to run great despite the worrisome reputation.

Edited by Tankman

SALTYWRIGHT

are you sure it is not the p.t.o spinning ?

• Like 1

Aldon

My PTO currently spins on my Briggs after turn off as I have yet to take the time to adjust the simple break mechanism....looks like a rubber bike brake.....

Tankman

are you sure it is not the p.t.o spinning ?

Tightened up on the PTO brake a bit. Stopped most of the spinning noise.

What's the proper way to adjust the PTO brake. I did know but, older now, forgot the distance.

I'm thinking 10-thousands of an inch?  :eusa-think:

Aldon

I think the procedure is in link below which I snagged from an older thread on PTO brake question:

Aldon

Section 9 says .012" for C series.

post-11709-0-54594000-1412467987_thumb.j

Edited by Aldon