cookbook

HOW TO CHANGE THE FLUIDS IN MY 310-8 WH ?

cookbook

I NEED TO NO HOW TO CHANGE THE FLUIDS IN MY TRANSAXLE AN TRANSMISSION AN WHAT TO PUT BACK IN THERE

rmaynard

There is a drain plug in the bottom of the transmission just to the left of the hitch. It should use a 1/4" Allen wrench to remove. Drain the oil by lifting the front end of the tractor to get all the oil over the hump in the bottom of the transmission. Refill with 2 quarts of 85-140w gl-5 gear oil. The oil can be poured in through either the dipstick tube, or by removing the shift lever and putting it in there. Do not use the plug on the side. You will not get enough oil in through there. If you find that your oil has a lot of water in it, there are many threads on here about how to flush the transmission. Just do a search for "flushing transmission".

• Like 2

doc724

Bob, here is a question for you.  I have never had a problem replacing oil in my 8 speeds.  I have either used the shift opening or the fill tube with the tube removed.  Have you tried refilling directly down the fill tube and is there a trick to it? 

Reason for asking is that I refill my hydro's (with 30W oil) down the fill tube and the escaping air coming back up the tube makes a terrible mess.  I read one RS member suggested inserting a soda straw into the fill tube to let the air escape.  Of course you had to take precautions lest the straw slip all the way down into the transmission.