David Hart

Breaks don't work

David Hart

On my Charger 12 the breaks do't work very well. They will stop you but you still creep along,and the emergency break doesn't hold. So can someone please tell me how to tighten the breaks.

rmaynard

The internal "dog" on the parking brake is probably broken off due to engagement while moving. Normal braking on the Charger is via a dynamic brake, holding the transmission between forward and reverse, in a neutral position. That is maintained by the motion control arm and a cam. Adjustment should be covered in the manual which can be downloaded from the "manual" section of this forum.

David Hart

Can you post the link to this manual I can't find it?

rmaynard

What is the ID number of your Charger?

Trouty56

On my Charger 12 the breaks do't work very well. They will stop you but you still creep along,and the emergency break doesn't hold. So can someone please tell me how to tighten the breaks.

rmaynard is probably correct about the pawl or dog inside that locks the tranny....however, there could be a lot of slop in the belt tensioner linkage also...  After locating the manual take a day to remove the beltguard and study how it all works....  You will notice as you pull the handle up to disengage the belt, on the bottom there is a lever from the tranny that should be pushed down (disengage the belt....engage the tranny lock)....  If there is a lot of slop this lever may not be pushed down far enough to engage the pawl or dog inside.....