Trouty56

Anybody ever press cider?

Trouty56

Honey crisps are not apples that are left hanging on trees after the pickers go through...and those trees are hidden pretty good...Although they are very juicey and would give a better ratio......all these apples were gleaned....how is that for cheap....mostly yellows....The orchard guys let you glean if asked...well it helps to know them....

Sent from where I am.......

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Holy crap... you cut all the apples first!!!????  Man, that takes some time.  Won't the grinder do whole apples?

I spent every fall of my childhood, that I can remember, picking buckets and buckets of apples with my grandfather. The very same grandfather that is the reason for my fondness of Wheel Horses. We lived next door to my grandparents when I was a kid, and their place had two acres of fruit trees and bushes.  As I remember, there were many varieties of apples, several varieties of pears, several varieties of peaches, two kinds of plums, three kinds of cherries, apricots, persimmons, blue grapes, green grapes blackberries, red raspberries, black raspberries, white raspberries, and even gooseberries. That doesn't even count the nut trees. He was an avid hobby orchard grower.  An aspect of my childhood I'd love to be able to give to my own kids, but fear I won't be able to.  I grew up eating every one of those kinds of fruit right off the tree/bush. A privilege that I now as an adult realize very few have had. To anyone who's never had experienced it... do yourself a favor and visit any local orchard you can for some fresh produce.  There's just no flavor in the world like ripe, fresh fruit directly from the tree.

He had an antique grinder and press, and some nights after school and most weekends this time of year, we'd be loading buckets in the cart behind the Wheel Horse. When we had a full cart we'd stop for the evening or day, take the load up to the hydrant and fill all the buckets with water to wash the apples.  After letting them soak a little while we'd tote them over to the press.  It was an old four post setup, painted red of course, with a tray big enough for two bins. One bin under the grinder and one under the press crank. Ideally with two people you can operate both ends at the same time with one person grinding and one person pressing. The grinder was of course hand powered by a big crank wheel and the ground apples fell directly into the pressing bin underneath. Then that bin slid over in the tray to the press side.  

It was hard work for a kid, spinning that grinding wheel, but I wouldn't trade anything for the memory of those days. It's been so long ago I couldn't begin to tell you what apples we were using or how many bushels per gallon. I know Grandpa knew that stuff, but he's long gone. I have to say thank you for bringing up that memory. It puts a smile on my face just thinking about those simpler carefree days of being a kid.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your cider.  I'm sure it will be delicious...... and be sure to freeze some!  Nothing like a hot apple cider on Christmas Eve!!

• Like 2

Trouty56

We are just learning the grinder but it seems to smash rather grind. That setup your grandfather had sounds like the one I saw on you tube. Slick.....

I was hoping this would spark some happy memories for a few members....thanks for yours.....

stevasaurus

Bob...a cinnamon stick in there for about 1 to 2 weeks...no longer then that (it will over power)...but is worth it's weight in gold.  Especially, if you add some pears with those apples.  :)

• Like 1

Trouty56

Bob...a cinnamon stick in there for about 1 to 2 weeks...no longer then that (it will over power)...but is worth it's weight in gold.  Especially, if you add some pears with those apples.  :)

Good idea Steve......like a stick in each gallon??  Sounds awesome.....thanks!!!

stevasaurus

Yes, 1 stick in each gallon for 1 to 2 weeks.  The bad thing is you have to taste it to see where it is at.  :ychain:   Take the stick out when if has the hint of Cinnamon that you want. You could also ferment the juice to make wine.  Here is a couple of pictures of my grinder and press.  I have not used the press in a while...as you can tell.  We rebuilt the frame some years ago with full dimension oak.  I am not wanting to hi-jack your thread...I am just thrilled to see another press and someone using it.  Let me know if you want a recipe for making wine.  The press is like 4 feet high.  :)

post-818-0-58619400-1412105933_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-94908100-1412105970_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-17486800-1412105994_thumb.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

Trouty56

Heck....the topic is about cider.....wine is a sub topic.....lol....Thanks for the pictures.....I like that grinder.....this one is either not set correctly or it is not for apples....

Geno

Or it needs Wheel Horse Power!   :text-woo:    :laughing-rolling:

stevasaurus

Not sure what you mean by the grinder not being set.  Mine has set screws on the gears where you can adjust the way the mashers mesh.  :)

squonk

Steve, when was the last time you rode that bike with the headlamp?  :) Better get those Ray O-Vac batteries out of it!  :teasing-poke:  :ychain:  :)

stevasaurus

That has nothing to do with this thread Mike...last year.  :)

• Like 1

Trouty56

We did better today....did about 6 bushels...got 16 gallons.....  Steve...this grinder...smasher...what ever it is, looks nothing like yours....

Steve...PM me that wine recipe please...always looking for a different recipe.....

Edited by Trouty56

RMCIII

Just a reminder, APPLE PIE Please!!!

Tim Bergfeld

I bet that tasted great

Tim

Trouty56

Just a reminder, APPLE PIE Please!!!

Just Google "apple pie moonshine" and make some!!! Easy peasey......

RMCIII

Yeah, if you got a stil!

Trouty56

Yeah, if you got a stil!

No....grain alcohol and vodka is used.....they just call it moonshine......now when those NC boys come up that might be real shine.....but that Apple Pie stuff is just a drink.....strong but still a drink......

And cider is used just to stay true to the cider thread......

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

Trouty56

I bet that tasted great

Tim

Tim....you would not imagine how sweet it is.....

Tim Bergfeld

Oh I bet people have lost touch with just how good it is to make things yourself it makes it taste that much better because it don't have all the junk in it. Omg it is like butter now they are telling us don't eat butter it is bad for you look at the ingredients salt and cream now look at that I can't believe it's not butter butter and you can't even say that crap that is in it

Tim

• Like 1

Tim Bergfeld

post-13453-141238548681_thumb.jpg

4 quarts of homemade apple butter just got done making it now bring on the biscuits

Tim

I love apple season

Tim

• Like 2

Trouty56

Hmmm.....that looks great Tim....I also have an old copper kettle used for applebutter and I have the stirrer to boot....we have 4 or so bushels of apples left....my mom just told me last week that before she dies (no worries....she is still in good shape) she would like me to make applebutter over a fire with the kettle....  We may be doing it next weekend....lots of apples to peel.....

• Like 1

Tim Bergfeld

But one of those corer and peelers that do it at the same time

Tim