Sign in to follow this  
canam1991

312-h frame

canam1991

:D today i was out playing with my 312 :horseplay: with duals ag tires on the back when all the sudden i ran over a log on one side. after i was done i washed it and noticed the right side tires where hitting the fenders :banghead: i looked under the tractor and the frame plate that holds the transmission was ripped like paper. :D i guess the log was to much leverage on the wheels? :lol: tomorrow i am taking the transmisson off and welding the frame and adding a 1/8" plate to the back of it!!!!! :lol: also when it broke it cut into a rubber hydro line everytime i raise or lower the lift oil goes everywhere :USA::omg: :thumbs:

kj4kicks

That plate cracking is a fairly common problem, and your solution is right on target.

E.

Kelly

Make sure you put the plate in front not the back (not between the trans and frame)

canam1991

it does not look hard to get the trans off or is it?

canam1991

got the tranny off its worst then i thought be welding plates and some sort of reforced traction bar setup!!!!!!!!!

canam1991

see can you take the plate frame off of the real frame? it has four bolts it would be cool if you could i'll go see if you can!

Butch

Canam what did you decide to do? After reading this post and the attached link

to another post I decided to go check my mounts. On the 314 I'm rebuilding there are not any cracks and there happened to be a steel plate , maybe 1/16" thick, welded to the lower section where the 2 lower bolts are. I was happy to see that after seeing your mount didn't have that plate. So I thought WH had fixed the problem. I decided to check my other 314 which I took the engine out of. The same welded on plate was there but there was a crack that ran under the plate and went all the way to the edge. My rebuild is sitting on jack stands with just the frame and tranny. I have just painted it. Now I'm wondering if I should just take the frame off and send it out for welding like the one owner did and used a full size plate. Just from the time I've been working on this tractor I thought the frame seemed flimsy and wondered how much stress was being created by the twisting the frame must go through. I thought where it bolted to the tranny looked like it was a weak point prone to breaking. Now I know. This may be the reason why my mid-mount grader never sat level on my WH that has the crack. I guess I will take the frame off and have it beefed up because I would be worrying about it eventually breaking.

Butch

S. Jersey

canam1991

I used 3/16 steel plate along with two bars welded to the plate going up to the frame (traction bars pretty much) be for i did this with the tiller on it the trans. would flex off the frame!!!!

Butch

I used 3/16 steel plate along with two bars welded to the plate going up to the frame (traction bars pretty much) be for i did this with the tiller on it the trans. would flex off the frame!!!!

Canam I'm dropping my frame off at the welders tomorrow. I did

notice that the plate isn't flat like on the 855 I saw in another link.

It has two raised ribs in it. I'm assuming yours is the same way. How

did you deal with that problem since the new steel plate won't lie

flat against the frame plate?

Butch

canam1991

i heated them up and flatend them!!

Butch

i heated them up and flatend them!!

Now why didn't I think of that???

After looking at that part of the frame I can't figure out why the

cracks started there unless the bolts loosened up. To me it would

look like the weak spots would be where the channel is welded to

that plate. That's where I would assume the stress and twisting

would be. I was wondering if I should carry the weld all

the way across those two pieces of channel and why WH

didn't do it. Maybe if the weld went all the way across it

wouldn't allow for flexing and then that would break the weld.

I'll discuss it with the shop tomorrow. Thanks

Butch

canam1991

no problem!!!!!!!

bitten

Wheel Horse service bulletin #425 Says that there is service parts to repair this situation with. Tractor frame transmission mounting plate # 108129 and heavy duty reinforcement plate # 114285. Fillet welding required and alignment is critical. You will have to go to a longer bolt also 3/8"x1 1/4". Wheel Horse even shows were to put the welds at.

Im not even going to bother to see if you can still get the service parts or not but will make my own as Im sure most will. The service bulletin did not say what size the plate is but I will use something that I have around ( for just in case emergancys)that will handle the job.

Let us know how you come out.

P.J.

Butch

Wheel Horse service bulletin #425 Says that there is service parts to repair this situation with. Tractor frame transmission mounting plate # 108129 and heavy duty reinforcement plate # 114285. Fillet welding required and alignment is critical. You will have to go to a longer bolt also 3/8"x1 1/4". Wheel Horse even shows were to put the welds at.

Im not even going to bother to see if you can still get the service parts or not but will make my own as Im sure most will. The service bulletin did not say what size the plate is but I will use something that I have around ( for just in case emergancys)that will handle the job.

Let us know how you come out.

P.J.

Thanks Bitten. I'll see if I can locate the info you mentioned. I didn't drop the frame off yet. I didn't wanna take it out in the rain!! It's freshly sandblasted.

I also happened to notice that the plate is thinner than the rest of the frame. I

don't know why they did that. Maybe cost. I was even considering having the welder make a new, thicker plate. But you're right. Alignment is a major problem.

I had problems with my other 314. The mid-mount grader wasn't level. I'm thinking it me be because of the frame being bent or the crack causing a problem.

I know I'll need longer bolts. I'm even gonna use a stronger bolt and use a threadlock. But thanks for the info and I'll see what I can find.

Butch

Butch

Bitten I found part number 114285 but haven't looked for the other one yet.

I can't find the service bulletin and I can't find a pic of the part mentioned above.

I'd like to see what it looks like and what needs to be done. Do you have any of those links avaiable? Thanks

Butch

Butch

Both parts are still available. I just can't seem to find pics, directions or the bulletin. I'm on the Toro website now.

bitten

Butch

yahoo groups...wheelhorse manual#8

the pics are bad but give you an idea

Butch

Thanks. I never would have found that. And thanks to gwest-ca who posted it.

Butch