rollingflat

Homemade garden hiller ???

rollingflat

Has anyone out in fourm land made a homemade garden hiller to fit behind their horse?

looking to build one and was wondering if anyone has tried and or have pics of their? :eusa-think:

Catmanii

I have not, but I sure like the idea. Been thinking of the same thing myself.  :)

KyBlue

No but it shouldn't be too hard... I too have been thinking about it for the last couple years...

Some parts from tsc or one of the ag suppliers should get you everything you need... And some steel and a welder...

rollingflat

i've been looking at larger 3 point hillers to get an idea of how to build one. I have a good idea but was wondering if any of u guys

have pics of some homemade ones. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Don1977

I have seen on other forums where they have used the old gear drive Sears tillers. Removed the handles and built a clevis hitch for them to attach the garden tractors.

Don1977

Miss read the post I was think tiller.

Racinbob

Here's a Troy Bilt hiller. I had one when we lived up north and it was great. Notice that the rear part of the wings adjust. Building a larger version for your tractor would be cool.

post-8408-0-69626400-1411908222_thumb.jp

KyBlue

That isn't the direction i had thought about going ... but there isn't just one way to get to a hilled garden I suppose ... haha :)

I think I'm going to go with something similar to this ...

post-246-0-64956200-1411913005_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Racinbob

That's cool. It looks like you'd straddle the hill. I did the majority of tilling with the Wheel Horse. My Troy Bilt was the little Junior. I used it for cultivating between the rows and if I wanted to hill I slapped the hiller on. As the crop grew (mainly the corn) I would adjust the wings to hill a bit higher each time. It really did a great job keeping the roots covered and helped the corn withstand the wind. Most of the other crops were planted wide row style and I used the hiller to push up some soil on both sides then quickly raked it level to form about a 2' wide raised bed. By removing the wings I would create a furrow to plant the row crops. I sure miss gardening since we moved here. :sad:

KyBlue

thats exactly what ya do ... I've never had to hill after things were planted but maybe thats just how i was taught?  :eusa-doh:

post-246-0-68583100-1411922058_thumb.jpg

Digger 66

thats exactly what ya do ... I've never had to hill after things were planted but maybe thats just how i was taught?  :eusa-doh:

Nice Kubota !

I want one soooo bad but it seems people are buried with them. :eusa-think:

KyBlue

Not mine ... google search image :)  

Geno

I have one I brought back from my Jersey trip that came with the RJ.  It's right behind the tractor, can get better pics if you want. 

post-13404-0-43686500-1411932230_thumb.j

Edited by Geno
  • Like 1

Catmanii

That isn't the direction i had thought about going ... but there isn't just one way to get to a hilled garden I suppose ... haha :)

I think I'm going to go with something similar to this ...

That looks to be the best way to go at it I think.  :)

Edited by Catmanii
  • Like 1

rollingflat

4star thats what i was thinking of building,very nice design, :bow-yellow:  did u build it? if so could u share the plans w us?

KyBlue

Not my design, I presonally dont really care for how they mounted the Disc's ... It'll do mine a bit different....  Use saddle clamps instead of the big steel blocks...

Catmanii

Not my design, I presonally dont really care for how they mounted the Disc's ... It'll do mine a bit different....  Use saddle clamps instead of the big steel blocks...

Right now I have the channel iron, but that's all. Your right, the way the disc's are mounted, they can move. Looks like just tubing so can't be tightened to much or it would crush.

I think I would do away with the outside braces too and just use triangle plate in the corners of the channel. Could be adjusted that way for row width.  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

rollingflat

Im starting to amass my list of parts to build the garden hiller. Hope i can post the progression on the project!

Thanks for all the imput and pics keep em coming there Great!!!!

KyBlue

Here's a few more shots for you I ran across while browsing the interwebs tonight :)

You should be able to get all the parts you need (disc's, clamps, saddles, hubs, etc) with the exception of the steel from Agri Supply .... I've ordered from them before and had good success with em.

These Photo's were taken from here

http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=next&topic=335&page=78434

Agri Supply Link

http://mower-blades.agrisupply.com/search#?p=Q&srid=S2-USWSD01&lbc=agrisupply&ts=ajax&w=hiller&uid=65875517&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&srt=0

EDIT:

Picked out the parts I'll be ordering from ASC (link above) and it looks like about 100 dollars - (two disc's, Two Clamps, Four Wedges - I like Spares)

Qty Price Total   33132.jpg

$27.95

$55.90

Remove 82948.jpg
Cultivator Wedge Clamp, Made to fit IHC
SKU # 82948
Availability: In Stock - Check Store Inventories

$9.99

$19.98

Remove 82947.jpg
Wedge Bolt
SKU # 82947
Availability: In Stock - Check Store Inventories

$3.99

$15.96

Remove

post-246-0-76786000-1412466260.jpg

post-246-0-89442700-1412466271.jpg

post-246-0-91258800-1412466280.jpg

Edited by 4StarCstms
  • Like 1

rollingflat

Great pics and thanks for the links, will be putting my order in aswell!

KyBlue

If you wanted to dig the seed row you could mount a cultivator shovel in the middle of the two .... just a thought.

• Like 2

Geno

If you wanted to dig the seed row you could mount a cultivator shovel in the middle of the two .... just a thought.

Now that's getting really lazy.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

KyBlue

Now that's getting really lazy.   :laughing-rolling:

And? Your point is what? LoL :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1