tractorboy59

Snowblower wheel replacement

tractorboy59

I have a 312-8 with a snowblower similar to the 6-1211 (I am not in front of the machine so I don't the exact model number).  What I'm trying to do is put bigger wheels on it than the small steel wheels it came with.  I have a un-level gravel drive way and I need more clearence.  Problem is that the axle is too short for standard size hub of a lawnmower type wheel.  So I spoke to a friend of mine who welds and he said to get the parts to him and he would weld on a longer axle.  I got the roll pin out and the axle bracket off of the one side and started beating the shaft through toward the handle side.  The shaft is free as far as turning it back and for and it moved for about 2 inches then stopped.  I have tried every thing I can think of but this shaft won't budge.  The on-line drawings are no help because I can barely see that shaft in the drawing.  Has anyone ever taken one of these out before?  What am I missing?

Thanks

Racinbob

I'm not sure why the shaft won't come out and I don't have a blower anymore to look at. What I did when I had a blower is drill and tap wheel brackets to accept a standard deck axle. It worked great on my 700+ stone driveway and I was able to adjust them out of the way to do a couple concrete areas.

gwest_ca

My auger shaft slid out no problem. I was afraid it would have been rusted in there but it wasn't. I poured about 1/2 cup of motor oil in the tube before the shaft went back in hoping it would stay rust-free.

Garry

squonk

IMG_0059_zps695f7ec6.jpg

tractorboy59

racinbob and redsquare pro, thanks for your replies. I've stood it up on end and I'm pouring the penetrating oil to it. Here's hoping.

squonk, did you extend the shaft or find wheels with an offset hub?

squonk

I took a plate and copied theskindholes to makeit adjustable. Welded a 1/2" bolt on them and drilled the end for a cotterpin. Got the wheels from TSC