jeff w

C-81 8 horse

jeff w

When I cold start my horse I choke and turn over 3-4 seconds twice and on 3rd try it fires. Today turned over twice and on 3rd try.....nothing (would not turn or do anything). Battery @13 volts, all wiring &fuses look good, plug wire and boots excellent. I know its a matter of going thru all possibilities, but wondered about other ideas? One of safety switches? Would solenoid be faulty, and if so how can I check that? Yes, have digital meter. Thanks in advance. A great running old horse that gets excellent care.

gwest_ca

The starter circuit includes ignition switch, 1/2 of the pto switch, clutch pedal switch, starter solenoid.and starter.

Wiring diagram - 4 pages

If you have a rubber mounted engine cradle make sure the ground cable from the engine to frame is good.

Garry

can whlvr

you can jump across the soliniod with a screw driver,or booster cables,sounds like the solinoid

jeff w

Thanks Can. Is there a way to check that solenoid w/meter to be conclusive on its condition?

jeff w

Garry---> thanks for the reply. Having some internet issues and cant get to that site....will contact tomorrow. Also, though the battery showed 13 volts, it is 6 yrs old?

ericj

do a load test on the battery, put meter on battery and try to start and see how far the voltage drops if at all. if it drop below i believe 9 or 10 volts replace the battery if it don't drop at all it's a safety switch or a solenoid switch. use the wiring diagram and go through the system step by step. you will figure it out. good luck

eric j 

jeff w

Thanks Eric, if it would run I would do the load test. Have a feeling either solenoid or a switch/fuse somewhere. Update soon!

jeff w

Update---> Removed solenoid & did bench test. Results---terminal to neg batt post w/other terminal to mounting bracket (grounded).multimeter terminals on both lrg terminals of solenoid. Finally, terminal to positive post of batt w/other end on 3rd post of solenoid. This test was a confirmation of good solenoid! Though my batt shows good, will test under load. Finally, I only see one fuse (30). Where will I find these other safety switches w/fuses? Behind ammeter dashboard area? Thanks!! C-81