Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Rear Tire Changer

sorekiwi

To go with the homemade bead breaker I made a while ago (described here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4328) I finally got arount to building something to hold a rear wheel still while removing the tire.

IMG_1923.jpg

Its a piece of 1" mid steel round bar with a 1/4" keyway milled into it, welded to a piece of 3/4 thick, 1 1/2" wide by about 5" long flat bar. I slid an old rear hub on to the key (secured with the setscrew) and hold it in the vice. The wheel is just bolted to the hub with lug nuts.

IMG_1924.jpg

I've only used it once, on a heavily calcium corroded rim but it worked great. It will however only do rear tires, still need to build something to do the fronts.

sorekiwi

It just occurred to me that if you dont have facilities to mill the slot for the key, you could just put a hole in the round bar to accept the end of the setscrew that secures the hub That would cut construction time down to about 15 minutes!

TT

That's a darn good idea, Mike!

I've already clamped a piece of 3/4" round stock in my vise to hold some front rims, and it sure beats crouching down and chasing them across the floor or trying to hold them still on the table or workbench! :USA:

(I change the bigger ones on a tire machine. :banghead:)

HorseFixer

Thanks Mike! good information!

Duke