Tankman

Briggs Starter

Tankman

OK, dumb question but I'll ask anyway.

Workin' on a 16 hp Briggs, no starter. I did order and receive a starter.

What size are the two bolts that mount the starter to the engine block. I did check partstree as well as the Briggs Vanguard engine manual. A small detail was left out, size of the two mounting bolts.  

I like manuals that list bolt size so I can stop at Lowes or Home "Cheapo" and pick a couple up.

Tankman

M8-1.25 is the bolt thread, two required. To make life easy, I used a socket head for the top bolt.

Starter is mounted!   :woohoo:

Geno

We weren't much help on that one were we.   :laughing-rolling:   

Tankman

Understandable of course. This US thread to metric, ugh.

I know I might be unreasonable but, I am.

The bolt "almost" fits a 5/16-18 nut but, not. I went to the local hardware store and tried metric's.

tbarnhart

You can pretty much figure on learning the metric threading system (if there is such a thing) as everything is now made overseas. The Briggs vanguard motor in question was probably made in Japan (good engines, by the way). What really get complicated is the "American Made" things that use standard sae sizes on carryover parts but metric on newer designed attachments and accessories (GM and John Deere etc). Gm even had some bolts that had a smaller stud coming out of the hex head to mount another bracket/accessory on. The bolt screwed into the old 350 V-8 and was 3/8 , but the stud out the top was 8mm. Go figure.