northguy

Just got a 416 H Rust issues?

northguy

Just got this 416h and its in good shape except the bottom of the hood where it attaches to frame has rust. Not just rust but rusted out with holes. Thought this was odd since the rest of it is very nice other then a few scratches. Everything works and I was suprised at how smooth this motor is. Never had a Onan before.

Is this an issue with these models? Are other spots rust trouble areas that I should know about? My guess is that it filled up with wet grass and the owner never cleaned it out.

I bought it anyway and may have paid to much but other then the rust spot its really clean and cuts well too.

Have 3 Wheel Horse tractors now and a Cub Cadet 169 that I may sell. Getting hard to explain all of these when my lawn only takes me 20 minites to cut with a push mower.

Sorry to anyone who responded to my last post that I did not get back too. Had a internet provider problem.

post-13415-0-70687400-1410620310_thumb.j

post-13415-0-78078000-1410620327_thumb.j

• Like 2

312Hydro

Nice looking tractor. I agree with you about the grass buildup. I get a bunch of grass in mine after cutting. He may have washed it down after use and missed the wet grass in there or the water that can lay there. Sure looks well taken care of. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 312Hydro

Catmanii

Don't know about the rust as I don't have anything that new, but do know it is a very nice looking tractor. Your most likely right in that grass just set there without being cleaned out. Hopefully won't be a big thing to repair. Other then the rust issue it sure looks great.  :)

Geno

You did great on that one, it's a beauty!  :text-+1:   :text-+1:

Racinbob

That's a beauty. It does seem a bit odd that the hood would be that rusty especially on a tractor that looks like it was well cared for. I only get dry grass in that area but it could be that the PO wetted it down without realizing it. It shouldn't be too difficult to repair.

northguy

I was outside looking at it more this morning and it looks good other then that spot under the grill. I will take the hood off and see how bad it is. I have been in contact with some one who has another hood that I may look at. Anyone have an idea of what these are worth? They are expensive up here if you can find one that is not beat. Got new filters, plugs etc for it and will change fluids. Gauge reads less then 290 hours but cant be sure of that. Thanks for the response guys. This is a great place.

cheesegrader

I've been looking for a hood for a while.

They seem to run about $100 with shipping (about $40)

All that I have seen were in rough shape.

All needed repainting/rust treatment, some had dents at the front corner.  

I have had NO luck straightening a bent hood, so I passed.

I remember seeing one two years ago that was perfect--$50.

It was gone before I could jump on it.

Geno

As nice as that tractor is I would just sand and touch up the bottom, or paint it from the black down only at the most.  :)