ScottR

312-8 clutch and starter questions

ScottR

Hello all,

I noticed the other day that the hair pin that goes through the bottom of the rod housing was missing.  I installed a new pin and about 10 minutes in to my next mowing session the locking pin that goes through the clevis and rod housing popped out.  I replaced it and noticed that with the hair pin in the rod housing the clevis sits at an upward angle when the clutch is engaged. This puts stress on the locking pin and causes it to pop out over and over. Adjusting the PO cluctch rod has no impact.  Removing the hair pin from the rod housing allows the clevis to sit level when the clutch is engaged.  Is there some other adjustment needed or do I just forget the hair pin since the clutch works fine without it?

Final question.  While poking around on the clutch I also noticed that the two screws that attach the starter bracket to the motor are missing.  These screws are no longer available. Does anyone have specs on them?  The holes are tapered making it tough to measure the diameter and I don't seem to have anything in the parts bins that fits.

I appreciate any help.  I still owe pics of my 8" rim mod but am waiting for a new muffler before taking them.  The tractor looks great with bigger front rims.  Of course the carb decided to be problematic, missing and backfiring,  when I started it the first time after installing the rims. Spent an hour cleaning the fuel system and now it's running fine. I didn't find any dirt in the carb, fuel lines or filters. I use ethanol free gas. I have no idea what caused the malfunction. My neighbor just got a Simplicity and offered me her old Murray.  I was never so insulted!

Regards,

Scott

doc724

Buy a new hairpin cotter or better yet, push the hairpin cotter beyond the second "bump" into the area where you would normally put your finger to pull the pin out.  I checked both my 314 and my C141.  On the 314, the cotter is above the eccentric that moves when you engage the PTO rod.  On my C141, the cotter is below the eccentric.  Both seem to work just fine.  I don't think you can successfully run without the cotter.  If the clevis jumps out of the eccentric in the pto "off" mode, it may rotate on the threaded rod one way or another and will reduce or increase the clutch friction.   

It's tough to answer the question on the starter bracket without knowing if you have a K series or a Magnum.  BTW, if the screws are missing, what is holding the starter to the motor?

km3h

Make sure you put a washer on before you put the hairpin in place. This will insure that pressure is even all around the pin. I am having trouble understanding what is holding that starter on too.

ScottR

To be sure we are referring to the same part, I'm referring to part number 32 in the diagram at http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/TORO/12522/4841. I'm missing this hair pin.  The washer, part 48, is installed on top of bracket #49 rather than below as shown in the diagram.  I've tried the washer in both locations. Installing the hair pin causes the clevis (part 29) to sit at an upward angle when the clutch is engaged and this causes pin 28 to pop out.

The starter bracket is part 5 at http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/TORO/12532/4841 . It doesn't hold the starter in place. The screws I need are part 6. The motor is an M12.

Thanks all.

km3h

I will go out in the morning and take a few photos of mine and post them for you.

ScottR

Thank you. It would be great to see what it looks like with the PTO rod engaged and disengaged.

km3h

Here you go.

This is a close up of the way it is set up on the bottom.

post-2564-0-80485800-1410375131_thumb.jp

This is a photo of the clutch engaged.

post-2564-0-12586300-1410375279_thumb.jp

Here it is disengaged.

post-2564-0-92055100-1410375316_thumb.jp

km3h

To be sure we are referring to the same part, I'm referring to part number 32 in the diagram at http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/TORO/12522/4841. I'm missing this hair pin.  The washer, part 48, is installed on top of bracket #49 rather than below as shown in the diagram.  I've tried the washer in both locations. Installing the hair pin causes the clevis (part 29) to sit at an upward angle when the clutch is engaged and this causes pin 28 to pop out.

The starter bracket is part 5 at http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/TORO/12532/4841 . It doesn't hold the starter in place. The screws I need are part 6. The motor is an M12.

Thanks all.

The angle of the clevis should be "almost" locked in position by a pin roll which fits very tight and must be driven in with a drift punch and hammer. Usually this is the second from last thing I install. Notice I said "almost." there should be some movement of the clevis locking pin assembly to move up or down a tad for proper installation of the locking pin.

I am bouncing back and forth between this post and the illustration and hope I am not confusing either you or me.

I will have to check on the screws. I have may have one of those engines out in the shop. I will not be able to get to it till either late tonight or early tomorrow.

ScottR

KM3H - I really appreciate the pictures.  They look exactly like my set up. My clevis moves around fairly easily, it's not almost locked in place as described by Nick.  Maybe that's what's causing the locking pin to pop out. I'll have to try a new pin roll. Thanks  again for all the help. 

Nick, I appreciate you checking the size of the starter bracket screws.

ScottR

Installed the proper size hair pin in the rod housing and that solved the problem.

Nick, did you have a chance to check on the size of the starter bracket screws?

Thanks,

Scott

km3h

Scott

I am sorry about that. I got sidetracked and forgot all about it.

On my Kohler 14 HP engine the bolt is 3/8 X 1 1/2 inches course thread with a lock washer. It does not appear to be a tapered bolt and I think any bolt of the above size and thread will work. Let me know how this works out for you.

post-2564-0-57260200-1411407968_thumb.jppost-2564-0-46170000-1411407980_thumb.jppost-2564-0-59973400-1411407988_thumb.jp

ScottR

Thanks for the pictures Nick.  What year is your 14 hp?

km3h

That engine is out of a 1978 Case 444. I have it torn down and awaiting some paint before I put it back together. I have already rebuilt the engine. Glad the photos helped.