Wayne

67 Lawn Ranger... so it begins

Wayne

First hi all, glad i found this site :) had no idea anyone else was interested in these wonderful pieces of equipment. On to the reason I am here.

Back in 1971 at the ripe old age of 3 I was allowed to tool around the sidewalks on my Grandfather's wheelhorse, a 1967 Lawn Ranger. Of course he would walk along beside me, ever ready to step on the brake. Later I was allowed to mow and pull the lawnsweeper around behind it. When he took with lung cancer and later passed from it, I went to stay with my Grandma on weekends, and helped her care for the lawn, carry groceries, etc. Later, when we all moved to Arizona, the wheel horse came along (less the snowblower) and began it's duty mowing 5+ acres of awful weeds (later replaced with rye grass), in about 1992 or 1993, I had noticed the little Tecumseh engine was getting noisy. One day it ejected the connecting rod out the rear of the engine. I made the mistake of buying a new mower, and retiring the awesome little tractor out behind the garage.

Fast forward to 2 days ago... I found a H60 Tecumseh on ebay, no carb, good compression, came from a rupp go kart. $65 buy now... engine is on it's way!

So I ask, should i go for a full resto on this little tractor, or just throw some paint and decals on it? Are rebuild parts still available for the engine? I am thinking maybe throw rings and bearings in it, lap the valves and run the engine? do they even have replacable bearings? I have done engine rebuilds from small block chevys to 3406 caterpillars, but i know very little about small engines.

T.I.A. for any insight,

Wayne

P.S. photos of current condition (well patina'd) to follow

• Like 2

Vinylguy

Welcome to Red Square Wayne

Great Lawn ranger story. those tractors work way bigger than they are.

I had a 68 for a couple years and loved it. You came to the right place.

Many knowledgeable members here who specialize in the rangers and the techy motors so 

bring on the pictures. We love pictures.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Wayne. Welcome aboard. You found the best place with the best folks. Can't wait to see the patina pics. Best of luck.

Glenn

KC9KAS

:WRS:  As you will see, there are thousands of us that have the Wheel Horse addiction.

Yes, it is an addiction, and you will soon find another WH, then another..........!

I like the nice shiny tractors, but to keep them shiny you can not use them as a "worker". I also like seeing the horse's in their work clothes.

It is really what you plan to do with your tractor, but do enjoy it and this site.

AMC RULES

I see some H-60 rebuild kits available on Ebay. 

:WRS:

Wheel-N-It

Wayne, welcome to Red Square. Everyone here would enjoy seeing lots of pics of the Lawn Ranger. Really, we can't get enough. As far as the restoration goes, do what will give you the maximum enjoyment when you are finished. And don't forget to post pics of your progress with it. We enjoy seeing those too.

Molon_Labe

Wayne, :WRS::wwp:

Parts for that H60 shouldn't be a problem rounding up. Keep us posted.

Geno

Hey Wayne and :text-welcomewave:   You're gonna love this place, there's more help than you know what to do with here.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

I think we need a new word too, addiction is an understatement around here.  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Wayne :  Welcome.  My L107 (see avatar) was purchased by my father for $479.35 on 27 May 1967 and has been in use ever since.  She currently has a HH70 Tecumseh (got that as it has compression release  made it easier for my father to start her as he got older). The original engine got new rings and is sitting on the shelf ready to go back in action.

On your new motor...rings and a cylinder hone maybe all it needs.  Parts are available.  The H60 did not have replaceable sleeve bearing on the crank..the HH series does. The valve guides are not replaceable you ream them out to use a repalcement valve with an oversize stem.

The service manual for Tecumsehs is here in the manuals section 

Many, if not most H60s had 3/4" Crankshafts...you need a 1" shaft to fit your drive pulley.  I saw this on ebay might be something you could use or copy.

They are great tractors  mine is my favorite of 13 horses.

post-1023-0-50404900-1409920944_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wayne

Wow, so many friendly replies and so much useful information in less than 24 hrs.! Thanks all! I think I will like it here... guess i better go get a pic. or 2 of the various parts in the car port :). poor old tractor really needs some tlc. I have decided for right now, I am going to install the new engine, make it run and get to mowing. I plan to tear it down,remove dents, and paint it this winter, but right now i need it to work (mow)

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:WRS:  Welcome indeed... you'll actually find a few members from out in Arizona!

Wayne

forgot to mention I added a briggs (craftsman) 5 hp and a push bar to move disabled cars into the shop. push bar has since been removed and recycled for another project.post-13831-0-82574800-1409950438_thumb.jpost-13831-0-15455200-1409950459_thumb.jpost-13831-0-72203100-1409950479_thumb.jpost-13831-0-56933400-1409950503_thumb.j

Ed Kennell

Welcome to :rs: Wayne.