can whlvr

k241 throttle

can whlvr

so 3 years ago when I restored my 1978 c101 with a 10hp kohler,k241,I didn't hook up the governor and didn't have the throttle worked out,ive looked in the downloads and downloaded the manual,adjusted the gov by the book,pretty sure I have it all hooked up correct,acording to the manual and I have a k341 to look at,but I cant get the revs right,when I adjust the cable to pull on the spring so the gov can react,it revs way too high,so when I adjust the l block to slow it down I loose the spring,i played with it all day and cant get her right,i did a complete rebuild on this motor and it runs real good but I need the gov to work and get the speed right,i must be missing something,as I noted I read the k series manual but its not that much help,thanks don

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

rmaynard

Don,

Can you take a closer picture of the throttle/governor setup? It's hard to see how everything is connected, and when I try to enlarge the picture that you have, it justs gets blurry.

Marv

WHLVR,

Your hookup looks right. Is it possible that when you installed the governor crank on the bovernor stub shaft the shaft was not turned in the correct direction. That would cause the governor to allow the engine to overspeed.

Marvin

Molon_Labe

Once the high speed stop is set correctly it's usually just a matter of finding the best spring setting on the governor arm. If the governor arm is in the correct position relative to the cross shaft and provided there isn't excessive wear in the throttle shaft you should be able to get it to work.

post-13276-0-60016500-1409654331.jpg

• Like 1

Marv

After enlarging the picture it appears that the high speed stop is not set correctly.

Marvin

can whlvr

the pic is before I played with it for 4 hours,if I put the control bracket up like the pic,and my c160 is,the engine revs are way to much,if I back it off a little the spring doesn't work at all,i did the initial set up correct,turn the shaft counterclock all the way and the arm away from cvarb and tighten,i played with the throttle cable position,the stop which as I originally stated ,I justy must be missing something,it has a new carb now but it is the same dimentions as the orig,the linkage is the original,set at just under 3 inches like the manual says,i cant take pics now as my camera is dead,guess ill try again on weekend,ive never had so much trouble with such a small setup

Molon_Labe

the pic is before I played with it for 4 hours,if I put the control bracket up like the pic,and my c160 is,the engine revs are way to much,if I back it off a little the spring doesn't work at all,i did the initial set up correct,turn the shaft counterclock all the way and the arm away from cvarb and tighten,i played with the throttle cable position,the stop which as I originally stated ,I justy must be missing something,it has a new carb now but it is the same dimentions as the orig,the linkage is the original,set at just under 3 inches like the manual says,i cant take pics now as my camera is dead,guess ill try again on weekend,ive never had so much trouble with such a small setup

I understand your frustration. Just keep in mind that the high speed stop should be set to prevent the engine from revving past 3600 rpm, the governor can't do this. Once the high speed stop is set you should be able to adjust the governor. Clear as mud, right? BTW when you turned the cross-shaft ccw were you holding the carburetor butterfly wide open when you tightened the retaining nut on the governor down? It's easier to do with an extra set of hands.

Edited by M_Bailey

WH nut

When the motor revs can you feel any pull on the governor arm? Im wondering if the governor gear exploded?

Been there done that!!

can whlvr

I don't think the gear is wrecked,i just cant get the initial set up,i do realize the stop is too keep her at 3600,but as I said when I put the control bracket where it should be and the throttle cable where it should be it runs way too fast,if I slow it down with the stop,which means moving the bracket back a little then the spring doesn't catch at all no matter where I put it,im confused and ive done a lot of wrenching in my days,ive rebuilt 3 kohlers and didn't have any problems like this,ill look at her sunday when I get a day off