WheelHorse79

Splitting transmission case on a 1045

WheelHorse79

I bought a 1045 last winter that has a seal leaking between the transmission case halves.  I have a new seal and need to split the case to replace it.  I have read some of the threads about splitting the case, and have a couple of questions:

1) When I split the case, which half contains the gears and should be left alone and which half (drive or brake pulley side) can I remove without disturbing any of the gears?

2)  Does the shifter need to be removed for this?

3)  If I take the wheel and hub off the axles, will the case slide off over the axles without removing the axles?

Thanks in advance for your help.

post-8950-0-34567900-1409399826_thumb.jp

• Like 1

racinfool40

when you split the trans lay it on it's side with the brake hub up.... and it will slide past the axles....nice machine by the way....I know exaclty were that came from....I restored it before Mr Mehlberg got it... :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Was the rear leaking back then?   :ychain: 

WheelHorse79

It's nice to hear from you, is your name Mike?  Do you have any history on the tractor?  It's a real nice machine, and runs well.  I've just touched it up a bit and added an RM-425 mower deck.  Other than the transmission leak, the tractor doesn't have any issues.  Thanks for the work you did with the restoration, it seems to be holding up well.  :thanks:

stevasaurus

And yes...you need to remove the shifter.  Are you sure it is the trans case gasket leaking??  My B-100 is looking like that, but I know it is an axle seal and the oil is just channeling down and dripping right under the trans gasket.  :)

racinfool40

I bought the tractor from a guy in Lima ohio who had it tore apart..he lost interest in it....the trans was completely tore apart and I went and picked it up..It was painted a burgandy color..it was bought from a dealer just south of lima Steve Meyers which is still there today right off of Interstate 75....I traded it to Scott mehlberg when I had shoulder surgery so I could get a tractor with hydro lift a 520...I have some pics of when I picked the tractor up it was in pieces..But luckily after searching thru his garage for a couple hours I found every thing for it...and the trans did leak alittle when I traded it to Scott..I think when I assemble it the gasket rolled but I never used it much and with my surgery I couldnt tackle fixing it at the time...glad some one has it that appreciates it.. :)

WheelHorse79

Thanks for the additional info.  If you don't mind, could you please post the pictures you took when you bought the tractor?  I would love to have them for posterity.  I'm also glad that you were able to get the 520 with the hydro lift, Scott is a great guy to deal with.  I am pretty sure where the transmission leak is.  After letting the tractor set for awhile, it is definitely leaking between the transmission case halves, right near where the hitch pin loop is.  I tried putting some RTV in the seam to see if that would stop the leak, but it didn't work.  I also have to open up the transmission on my recently acquired RJ-58 to replace an axle seal and bushing.   When it is all done, I hope to have some decent WH transmission experience.

• Like 1