Sign in to follow this  
520H4me

520H - Charging system not working

520H4me

OK, this is post number 3. Yup, I bought a 520H that needs some work...

The charging system does not work. I can see on the charging gauge that the needle barely makes it to the yellow area. Any suggestions?

jusjeepn

Thats a good one. Alls I can say is jump in with both feet and good luck. :banghead:

Raider12
The charging system does not work.

dave s

My 520 was showing 11.5 volts, hooked up another voltmetre and got 13.5,

520H4me

Finally got around to working on this again. Checked the grounds (both under the fuse box). I doubt I was getting much ground as there was a lot of rust. Took care of that - now I have lights, but I do not seem to be getting any charging out of the system. Someone suggested previously that it may be the regulator that is bad. Any suggestions as to where I can get a new one? Not sure if this is a generic part I can get most anywhere or not.

Also, the tractor has 3 fuses. The one closest to the guages is blown. I signed up for a group on Yahoo that will allow me to download the user manual - I guess the owner of the group has to approve my registration - not sure how long that will take. Does anyone know what the fuses are for on a 520H?

jaysmith801

You can also download parts and owners manuals free from toros website.

zieg72

Finally got around to working on this again. Checked the grounds (both under the fuse box). I doubt I was getting much ground as there was a lot of rust. Took care of that - now I have lights, but I do not seem to be getting any charging out of the system. Someone suggested previously that it may be the regulator that is bad. Any suggestions as to where I can get a new one? Not sure if this is a generic part I can get most anywhere or not.

Also, the tractor has 3 fuses. The one closest to the guages is blown. I signed up for a group on Yahoo that will allow me to download the user manual - I guess the owner of the group has to approve my registration - not sure how long that will take. Does anyone know what the fuses are for on a 520H?

The 15 amp fuse closest to the gauge panel is for the lights. The middle 25 amp is the main fuse while the 30 amp fuse closest to the engine is for the charging circuit. These 520's had problems with corrosion due to the fuse box placement with water getting in. When I bought my first 520H I was overcharging and cooking the battery. A new rectifier was all it took for mine, simple to change and available on Ebay which is where I got mine.

dr74go

I just bought a rectifier from Pat's Small Engine Parts (www.psep.com). It was $39.95 plus shipping. It is a Stens (aftermarket) part. I had to replace mine and replace the charging fuse. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

I hope you don't need one, but I also priced the stator / alternator before I found the problem. The best price I found was $44.50 at www.onanparts.com.

D.L.

520H4me

Not sure if it was the cleaning where the ground wires attach to the tractor (under the fuse box) or pulling the fuses in and out numerous times (to clean any corrosion off them). Anyway, the charging system seems to work now.

Thanks to everyone for your input.