Jrblanke

520H won't start....I think I found the problem

Jrblanke

So the tractor would not start, but I had just run it about 20 minutes before I parked it. The dash lights and gages turn on when I turn the key but it won't turn over (starter not engaging). 

I got on here and searched for the symptoms,  and found a lot of people having issues with the 9 pin connector. Everyone's problems sounded familiar so I started to investigate the condition of my connector and found this:

IMG_9992_zps351edfdd.jpg

IMG_9993_zps24b9b87c.jpg

Not sure if this is the culprate, but according to the wiring diagram it looks like the cooked wire goes to the starter. 
wiring_zps9b0338dc.jpg

Anyone replaced this connector?

• Like 2

bowtieguy

As posted earlier on another post I had same problem..(same red wire)..did not replace the entire connector...with proper tool, I released the "pin" . removed it from the wire and installed a new "male pin" and pushed it back into the plastic body...pin is a stock item at Toro....cost 4 bucks!...the same pin is used on medical equipment and can probably be purchased at any electronic supply business

The "female" connector was not damaged but Toro probably stocks it also.   Lesson learned...should have looked at the 9 pin connector first, but all the shade tree mechanics convinced me that the starter relay is always the problem....NOT.... (note to self: sell my new relay to the first shade tree mechanic that stops by to see how things are going)

I also replaced the black fuse block...found one at ORielly Auto Parts store with a plactic cover that covers the fuses...I moved it up higher and installed it just to the right of the battery....now it is easy to see and fuses stay clean..cost was less than 10 bucks.

So for 15 bucks, the problem is solved...but I could have bought another Wheel Horse with the money that I might have spent on labor....lets see, if shop labor rate is 35 bucks/hour X 10 hours.....yep, thats about TWO horses!!!

PS...good to see you found the problem....that 520H is one awsome tractor!

• Like 3

Jrblanke

Thanks for the response Bowtie guy! I think I am going to go down the pin replacement route like you mentioned. I am going to try to find a gold plated pin which should be more corosion resistant.

Craig, Thanks for the links! I'll stick 'em in my favorites!

AMC RULES

Yep, links to our  :wh: vendors.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Hodge71

I have replaced the entire connect with male and female insulated spade terminal Sta-Kons...It worked awesome and now I no longer have any worries about that fire hazard of a connector. 

• Like 2

boovuc

JR,

You may want to just see how good that connector is.

You may find that connector is real brittle and will eventually come apart. When you toast a pin like that, it really is best to replace the connector. Do your pin replacement to get it running but think about ordering both halves of the connector.

• Like 1