Johnpaul

How to fix leaking rear axle gear fluid on 308-8 with Uni-drive transmission

Johnpaul

What the procedure on fixing rear axle gear fluid from leaking? Replace axle seals? (WH 308-8 with Uni drive transmission.

Edited by Johnpaul

Racinbob

Yup. It can be done without opening the transmission.

Johnpaul

Thanks for your reply, is there a procedure for how to replace axle seals? Please forward.

AMC RULES

Depends on where the leak is coming from. 

:WRS:

Racinbob

From your first post it sounds to me like it's leaking at the axle seals??? There's tons of help here if that, or any other issue you may have. You just need to confirm what's leaking. :)

Edited by Racinbob

Johnpaul

Correct, it's leaking from the rear axle seals. How do I replace the rear axle seals?

Racinbob

The hardest part might be getting the hubs off. Once you do that just carefully pick the old seals out. Before you install the new seals make sure your axles are free of nicks and burrs. Pay special attention to the hub key slot. You don't want to damage the new rubber. Lightly oil the axle and slide the new seal in place and, the way I do it, slip a large washer over the axle and tap, don't beat, the seal in place with a short piece of pipe. PVC works fine for me. The seal should be flush and the washer will 'tell' you when it is. 

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Johnpaul

Thank you very much Racinbob, I will follow your instructions, I appreciate your assistance.

Racinbob

You're welcome John. I'll add that you should check the bearings for excessive play (side to side). I'm betting that won't be a problem though.

Ed Kennell

:WRS:     Like Bob says , remove the hubs. They can be the challenge.

Remove all the set screws

. Make sure there are not double stacked screws.

Soak the hubs and fill the set screw holes with PB blaster.

I use a home made puller with 5 -3/8 X 5" bolts  and sockets as spacers  to pull the hubs.

BE careful..they are cast and they will break.

Johnpaul

Will do. I will check the bearings for excessive play. Thanks for your advice. This is a great website!

Johnpaul

Ok, thanks for your advice ekennell.

can whlvr

heres a pic of a homemade puller,an angle ioron and a large bolt and nut welded to the angle and five holes drilled to match hub004-10.jpg

Johnpaul

Ok, thank you for your support.

Ed Kennell

After you get the hubs and the old seals off, you should clean the hub bores and the axles with solvent and polish with scotch brite.

Then fit the hubs back on by hand. Do not beat them back on. Paint the area around the keyway with a black felt marker and slide the hub on till it stops. Pull it back off and the mark on  the painted area will show you where to file off the high spot on the axle. The axle is usually bulged up on the back side of the keyway where the axle is driving the wheel forward.   File only the high spot, then repaint and refit till the hub slides on. Do it slowly and remove as little metal as possible.

It may require 10 or 20 trial fits to get it to slide on.

The new seal will now also slide on easily.

Johnpaul

Ok, I can do that, thanks for all the details, very helpful.