JEGibbs

Please help, new belt now gears grind.

JEGibbs

I'm new  :banghead:  sorry about that mess up there

Martin

not all my mechanical transmission tractors have a belt tab like you guys mentioned. i don't think my 1057 has one and the clutch works fine. what is important though is how the belt guard fits. the bottom of the guard holds the slack when the clutch is engaged. as it is keeping it flat the excess belt comes away and out of the engine pulley and the belt stops moving. the belt guard should have a finger sticking forward from the front of the guard to hold the belt in the pulley right at the point it starts to curve around it. that way when the slack is there the belt is forced away from the circumference of the pulley and it disengages. you can see the fingers in Eds pic of his guard here. they stick out where the engine pulley position is...

post-7208-0-01460400-1408822474_thumb.jp

Martin

just to be clear, you are running the tractor with the large sheet metal guard in place, aren't you?

you won't have any success with solving this issue without the guard in place.....

also, what is happening when the clutch is engaged, is the belt still moving? is there slack at the engine pulley? you should see the belt come out of the v enough to allow the belt to stop moving while the pulley is still spinning.

Edited by Martin

rmaynard

When the guard (cover) is in place, the end that attaches to the engine should have these tabs.

post-2221-0-41126700-1408828034_thumb.jp

With the clutch pedal released, and the belt pulled tight, each tab should be about 1/32 of an inch from touching the belt.

post-2221-0-26899200-1408828214.png

• Like 1

JEGibbs

Haha yes Martin the guard is on. There's also gas in the tank haha. jk man, Seriously though, Martin, your original post might be spot on. The original belt was 5/8, the new one is 21/32. Anyone whose ever read calibers knows that .030" is a big number. Time to order a wheel horse belt. This one is too fat and gets stuck in the engine pulley when the clutch is pressed. Maynard, those tabs are in place. So who carries a 7473 in stock that's reliable?

As a small piece of advice, measure everything yourselves. never trust a kid with a tape measure hahaha

Martin

plenty of them on ebay. around $25 + shipping. search wheel horse 7473.......

make sure its a genuine wheel horse belt, sometimes the listings are confusing.

can still buy them new through a toro dealer as well.....

Edited by Martin

JEGibbs

Thank you all very much. I'm going to order the belt and see what happens. I will let you all know.

Ed Kennell

Thanks for the education guys.  Sorry if I lead you astray, but all my manual frannys  have  tabs on the belt guard and I thought they were all that locked the belt.

I see now the tabs at the engine drive pulley can also hold the belt when there is slack in the belt.

• Like 1

JEGibbs

Hey, I learned a lot too. I'm pretty happy about that. The Genuine Toro Wheel Horse belt is on it's way.

AMC RULES

Also...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

confirm the sheave on your pulleys are clean and free of rust before installing that new :wh: belt. 

• Like 1

JEGibbs

Thats a good idea. My old horse has plenty of patina

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Have a pict of the whole tractor, in all it's  :wh: glory? 

JEGibbs

IMG_20140810_122707_zps4b49a3cd.jpg

The gas lines are all new now with a fuel filter below the tank and rerouted under the engine. I need seat springs in a bad way

• Like 2

857 horse

all i know is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that !!!    is one clean tractor.......

makes my fleet look like the junk pile........

thanks guys,,  lololo

• Like 1

JEGibbs

That's how I felt when Martin posted his pictures in this thread haha

Molon_Labe

That's a great looking Horse but that seat must be brutal.

• Like 1

JEGibbs

It was as horrible as you can imagine. It temporarily has a yard man seat on it now. Until I can figure out what seat and springs to put on it this winter when it give it a krylon rebuild. 

JEGibbs

Well, the new Wheel Horse belt is on and my old Raider is driving perfectly. Thank you everyone for all of your help.