redsquarebob

seal leaking on tramnsmission drive pully

redsquarebob

i need to no how to get it out so i can put a new one in it

Racinbob

I've had good success picking at them with an awl. Be careful not to gouge things up. Once you get it off make sure there aren't any nicks or burrs on the shaft and press the new one in with a large washer and short piece of pipe or a deep socket.

rmaynard

It goes without saying that first you have to remove the pulley. Then I always use a spring puller that looks similar to a dental pick. It goes in between the shaft and the rubber. Then a slight twist will hook it in the back side of the seal body. Pull it out, make sure the shaft is smooth around the woodruff key cutout, clean and lube the shaft with oil or grease and slide the new seal on. Tap it in carefully so that it is flush with the case.

redsquarebob

do you know what the seal number is on  a 702. and does look like metal ring?

rmaynard

Some look like a metal ring, other are black plastic. The part number is in your parts manual. I don't have it at my fingertips because I am not at my desk.

redsquarebob

is the seal availiable at napa?

Lagersolut

In addition to lubricating the shaft I put a piece of electric tape over the key way, also like putting a few drops of 3 in one oil on the new  seal  .

doc724

Make sure you understand the root cause of the failure before just putting a new one in.  It could be that the old one just was worn out.  Or it could be that the needle bearing is starting to fail and wobble a bit.  Push on the input shaft (up and down, front to back) there should be no movement if the bearing is still good.  If there is any movement, your new seal will start to leak in a few months time.  P.S. if the shaft is 3/4 diameter, the NAPA  P/N is 7410, about $7 also but it is rubber molded to metal, not plastic like the Toro ones

doc724

Oops, I just looked at the bearing and seal cross reference.  (first file at the beginning of this forum).  The input seal is different than the brake shaft seal.  Use the SKF seal number in the reference.  NAPA uses the same exact number

redsquarebob

the shaft only pushes in and out is that a problem. i only got a little metal ring out is  that the whole seal

rmaynard

In and out is okay. The little metal ring should have had a rubber seal attached to it. If it didn't, that's a good reason for a leak. The new seal, available from NAPA is part #NOS7410

My local NAPA sells them for about $5.00

doc724

Sheesh, only $5.00, up here in MA they are $7.10 (of course that includes tax) ;-)