Wheel-N-It

Bought Two More Today

Wheel-N-It

Pics will be coming this week. Don't worry.

Today I finally found the elusive "M16 Magnum Powered" Wheel Horse 416-8. I have been looking for one of these for several years now. My other 416-8 is "K" powered. I know basically the K's and the M's are the same powerplant but I really really wanted a Magnum. This one came with a 42" SD deck, trailer hitch, tiller bracket, and lift system for a tiller or plow. There are 748 hours showing on a working hour meter. Also has a new battery.  It starts right up and runs good hot or cold. I am feeling very good tonight about this purchase. The seat has seen much better days (but then again so have I).

Next I bought a non running 1995 312 Hydro. Why its not running I could not tell you. Its all together except for the wiring harness. The wiring harness has been hacked on by someone who had no idea what they were doing. There are a little over 900 hours showing on the meter. I'm looking forward to seeing if the engine will run. I would not think there is a problem with the hydro as the only thing someone was working on was the wiring. I'll give an update on that one later.

I know, I know you guys want pics. Well first I have to go back to the previous owner's house tomorrow and pick up the 312. Its bought and paid for but my trailer will  only haul one at a time. I'll take some pics and post them first of the week. But for now this is what I have to report. I will be changing the engine oil in the 416 tomorrow. Getting rid of the whatever oil and giving it some good oid Lubrication Engineers 30w.

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Congrats Van...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

I know you've been on the hunt for ever. 

Find it local?   :scratchead:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Yes actually I did Craig. Same County, about 30 minutes from my house. They were sitting in a enclosed garage. I think Mama wanted some room and the Horses had to go.

AMC RULES

Crazy sometimes...how long and far you search for something, 

that was hiding right around the corner the whole time.  :confusion-shrug:

I often wonder how many RJ's I'm driving by everyday.  

Can't wait to see your new  :wh: 's Van.    :popcorn: 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Geno

Congrats on the new Horses Wheel-n-it.   :eusa-clap:   If their are any hiding near me their hiding well. 

• Like 1

Jrblanke

Congrats Van! I'd come crash your party and help you pick em up, but I got plans for tomorrow!

• Like 2

squonk

Now you need to find an Electrician to bring the 312 "up to code"  :teasing-poke:  :teasing-poke:  :teasing-poke:

Don't spend all your money WE GOT'S PIE TO BUY!!!  :)  :)

• Like 1

Brrly1

Hey Craig, did you see that one down around the corner, sitting back in the trees waving at ya! :ychain:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I do keep my eye on a bunch of 'em John...   :popcorn: 

but, visible RJ's are getting few a far between these days

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Thank you friends for the kind words. Mike, I won't spend too much money. Our rhubarb pies are high on my priority list for next year! Craig, how right you are concerning the things we search for quite often being right around the corner. James, Thank you for thinking of me and wanting to help me puish the 312 up on the trailer. I've got this one covered but next time I'll call you! We need to do more Wheel Horse stuff together. Geno, hopefully your turn to find one right around the corner or at least in the same County is next. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that to happen.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OK fella's. I'm headed out to go scoop up the 312. Be back later!

papaglide

Congrats Van! Magnum powered ANY thing would make a mighty fine tractor! Looking forward to the pics and be safe picking them up bro!! :beer:

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I hope that new barns done! Lol.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Yes the new barn is finished. Should have built it bigger !!! LOL

Mike I'm right there with you regarding Kohler Magnum powered anythings!

OK, time for the latest report. Arrived at the sellers house to find he had the 312 sitting in the circle drive waiting on me to get there. We pushed it up on the trailer and away I went.......  home, but not without stopping at the local Waffle House for some waffles, eggs, bacon, toast, grits (yes I said grits), and coffee. It takes alot of food to successfully transport Wheel Horses around North Carolina.

By the time I got home it was already 94 degrees. I rolled the 312 in the shop. I'm waiting for a cooler day to work on it. Then I run the 416 until the engine was at operating tempreture, and drained out all the old engine oil. Now the Kohler Magnum is happy with almost 3 quarts of LE 30w in it. The PO had just changed the transmission oil. It is full right up to the mark, the shifter boot is intact so no need to do anything there. All the lights work including the tail lights. Checked the charging system. There is a strong 13.95vdc going to the battery. All good there too!

Wish I could tell you I did all this great and wonderful stuff to the 312 but again, thats a cooler day project. Instead I had to get on the big red tractor and work a bunch of crushed stone into the new driveway I've built to now have a circle drive. That was just too much work to do with a Wheel Horse. I needed power steering and diesel power for that project.

So anyway guys, that was my day. Starting another week of overtime tomorrow. Been working overtime  all Summer. Thats why I have not been here very much since the big show.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, yes I took some pics! I'll post them tomorrow. :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 4

papaglide

Sounds like you had a great day Van!

I haven't had Waffle House in 15 yrs. I ate there everyday for a month while I was in McDonough, GA. Man, I miss Waffle House. Yes I really said that and I mean it.

Lookin forward to the pics Van!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OK everybody, here are the pics! Didn't get them posted yesterday due to having to work overtime. I hope you enjoy them.

post-5982-0-24485100-1408453635_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-59605600-1408453651_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-86766000-1408453674_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-58681500-1408453725_thumb.jp

post-5982-0-74175300-1408453735_thumb.jp

• Like 3

JC 1965

Wow !!   Looks great Van.   :thumbs2:  I love the kohler 16 hp K series or Mag. 

• Like 1

leeave96

Van - looking good!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

One last 416 pic :handgestures-thumbupright:

post-5982-0-30474700-1408455809_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Geno

Very nice looking tractors you got there!   :text-+1:

• Like 1

jackhammer

Very nice , especially when they come out of the same shed.

Keep your IIZ open.. and good luck

• Like 1

papaglide

Very nice Van. They seem to be in pretty good shape. How do they run? I like'em! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Jrblanke

Duuuuuude. Look in good!!!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Very nice Van. They seem to be in pretty good shape. How do they run? I like'em! Thanks for sharing.

Mike, the 416 runs great!!! Transmission shifts nicely and the gears are quiet too. The mowing deck has the factory reinforcing bar, and the spindles are quiet. The only extra noise I have noticed is one of the pulleys on the mule drive needs to have a little oil worked into it. Thank you for asking:)

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

OK so the cooler day has not got here yet but I could not wait any longer.

Yes the 312 runs! To get it running was pretty much a no-brainer actually. First to lube up the inside I poured an once of MMO down the spark plug hole and turned the engine by hand about ten times. Then I took the bowl off the carb and sprayed it with brake cleaner. The bowl had zero rust in it so scrubbing the inside of the carb bowl was not necessary. Next thing was to connect up a battery and a remote starter switch. Then applied a couple of shots of spray carb cleaner, hit the remote starter switch and the M12 came to life. No knocking, and the only smoke was from burning off the MMO.

The next thing was to blow out the fuel tank with compressed air and install a new fuel filter and put the carb bowl back on. Poured some gas in the tank, hit the remote starter and Yippee! the M12 runs on gasoline. Then out with the old oil and in with the new.

Phase three was what to do about the wiring where the PO before the PO I bought the 312 from had cut up the harness and basically did a good job of showing the entire world he (or she) knew less than nothing about control circuits. So after calling Don Varos for some charging system consultation (BIG THANK YOU DON!), it was time to divide and conquor the starting circuit. After about ten minutes I discovered the seat switch was trashed, the brake safety switch was missing, and the factory fuse holders had been replaced with some ancient automotive glass fuse holders from another botched wiring project. It was then time out. After about eight seconds I decided I was not rewiring the space shuttle, so I took the path of least resistance and unplugged the 12v starting circuit wire from the PTO lever and plugged it onto the pos+ terminal of the starter relay. This made it so I could start and stop the M12 using the key switch.

On to the charging system. With the engine running, my trusty FLUKE volt meter showed a healthy 13.89 vdc going to the battery. Check.

Now to test out the Hydro. With 225lbs of me sitting on the seat, the hydro worked fine uphill or down. The hydro oil was very clean, so to me that was a good sign. I drove it around about 30 more minutes to get the hydro nice and hot. No leaks or slipping. Check.

Tomorrow I will give it a good greasing everywhere there are moving parts.

Now I have to decide what to do with it. Should I hang the tiller on it and make the 312 my tilling tractor? Well for now I'm happy it runs and drives. I'll decide what to do with it later. Or maybe take it to the Big Show in 2015 and sell it to one of you guys ;)

• Like 2