Sign in to follow this  
fretscha

400 series rims on 300 series

fretscha

Hello guys,

i have found 400 series rims on ebay. Can i mount them on my 316-8 without problems? I have ordered 23x10.50-12 for the rear, now i want bigger rims at the front for a better design.

regards from germany

Jens

traktorkidd7/30/93

You will also need to get the upgraded front spindles too or else your tractor will be set high in the front

fretscha

Normally i have 22x8.50-12 on the rear rims. with the 23x10.50-12 the back is lifted so it will be on the same hight with the 400 rims, or not?

traktorkidd7/30/93

Maybe you wouldnt have to but I would :banghead:

Curmudgeon

Hard to say.

For instance, Carlisle Turf Savers:

22x7.50x12.... 21.8" tall

22x9.50x12.... 21.3

23x8.50x12.....23.1

23x9.50x12.....23.2

23x10.50x12.... 22.6 or 22.8 depending on number of plies

As you can see, even within the same brand and style, sometimes tires are taller, sometimes shorter than their listed sizes. Throw in different brands and styles and it's a wonder our little tractors ever set level.

For all practical purposes, we'll never notice the small differences with a tire size, but changing wheel diameters is a different matter.

Curmudgeon

Here's another tidbit....

Titan Super Turf, 2-ply

23x10.50x12..... 23"

24x12x12..........23.4"

LESS than half an inch between a 23" tire and a 24"

Edit:

24x12x12 - 4 ply, 23", SAME as a 23" tire of the same brand, and shorter than other brands 23" tires!!!!!!!!

fretscha

the tires on my 316 are 16x6.00-6.

the tires on the 400 are 16x6.50-8.

So i think the height will not change so much. Just the rim diameter change, the tire height doesn

kpinnc

You will also need to get the upgraded front spindles too or else your tractor will be set high in the front

I put the larger front wheels/tires on my 310, and do not have any problems. Feel free to judge for yourself:

IM000189-3.jpg

The nose is lifted maybe 1/2 inch, but this does not affect any decks, or implements I would use in any way.

I have never understood where the idea of using 8 inch wheels set tractors too high. The 400 series use the same front axles and spindles as a 300, so how does it make them higher?

The sole purpose of using the 6 inch rims on a 300 series was to allow clearance for the 37 inch SD decks. If you use one of those with 8 inch front wheels, you're gonna have issues- When you turn left (all the way to the stops), the left wheel will contact the deck. Use a 36 RD or anything up to a 48 SD, and you'll be fine. Just not the 37 SD...

Kevin

fretscha

Thanks a lot, Kevin!

That was the answer i has needed. So i hope they will not give to pricy. :banana:

fretscha

The Ebay Auction is ended. I have bought the rims. I hope the USPS is fast in shipping to germany. Then i will make thiswheels on the rims and thiswheels on the rear. What do you think about that?

C-Series14

Wunderbar!!! That thing will look awesome! :banghead:

Craig Arndt

When you get them, make sure you show us! :banghead:

Irv

I did it on my 310-8 and 312-8 with no problems. Just had to adjust the mower deck front height. And the 310 has the 37" sd deck.

fretscha

Hello,

today the rims were coming. Now, it is possible to see the difference

That is the 300 series design!

K640_IMG_0186.jpg

And now the 400 series design!

IMG_0230.jpg

The height isn