Molon_Labe

Round Hood

Molon_Labe

Well, found round hood, finally. It's supposed to be a 1960 Suburban and as far as I can tell that appears to be the case, no numbers I can find. It looks pretty good but needs to be completely restored except for the engine. The tranny leaks from both axles as does the brake shaft, paint is gas soluble, probably Krylon, clutch is completely inoperable but repairable, loose steering, cable linkages missing, left foot rest missing, rear tires are shot... etc.. Lots of work ahead but thought this would be a great winter project.

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure, BTW, the wife tells me I'm on "lock down"

post-13276-0-64344800-1408073599_thumb.j

post-13276-0-15009200-1408073614_thumb.j

post-13276-0-35183500-1408073627_thumb.j

post-13276-0-55806900-1408073640_thumb.j

post-13276-0-88294500-1408073653_thumb.j

post-13276-0-72161300-1408073666_thumb.j

post-13276-0-31095400-1408073864_thumb.j

post-13276-0-69510500-1408073888_thumb.j

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looks nice to me. Thanks for the pics. I won't tell you what my wife said to me..it's X rated. Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Thanks Glenn and believe me my wife doesn't hesitate with the X-Rated comments either.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Looks like a nice tractor.

Thanks for the photos.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Not too bad though, pretty clean...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

looks like someone got the process started for you. 

• Like 1

Coadster32

Nice looking burban.

When your wife tells you these things.....you're on the right track. :icecream:

• Like 2

Geno

Congrats, nice tractor!  :woohoo:

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice score, looks to be a great foundation to start a restoration with. My wife had a pretty good idea of what she was getting herself into when we got married back in 1992, I even warned her I didn't plan on changing my ways too much. I was originally in the muscle car hobby and blew thru thousands each year on my cars.  In comparison these little red tractors and my boat and outboard hobby are much cheaper on the pocket book. The trick is finding a happy balance of time spent on my hobbies and time spent of the honey do list.... I think I got it figured out,  70/30 seems to keep her happy.... Life is good.

• Like 2

55rj35jr

Nice 60 suburban,,, my motto is "Happy wife happy Life" thanks for sharing...

• Like 2

Racinbob

WOW! That's a great start. Even the throttle/choke controls look intact. I'm sure you know that Terry makes a great decal to get it looking like new. You might want to ask for the little modification I asked for if your serial number is gone. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this.

Molon_Labe

WOW! That's a great start. Even the throttle/choke controls look intact. I'm sure you know that Terry makes a great decal to get it looking like new. You might want to ask for the little modification I asked for if your serial number is gone. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this.

Thanks Bob! I've been following your Suburban build and taking notes along the way and I appreciate what you've done with yours. The hardest part for me is going to be keeping my hands off this one until winter sets in. But that's the plan. Hopefully the coming winter will be milder than last,maybe I can afford the kerosene to heat the garage.

Racinbob

Thanks. It's a fun project that almost keeps me out of trouble. From the pictures your hood looks to be in great shape. I've discovered that mine needs more than I thought. I should have pics this weekend when I attack it getting it ready for repair. One of the funnest parts is talking to and meeting some the great folks here. I'm planning on meeting 19richie66 Monday. He's got the tools and know how to fix the holes, straps and cracks properly. It should be a fun day and educational as well. I came pretty close to you a couple times when visited the kids close to South Bend a week ago.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Thanks. It's a fun project that almost keeps me out of trouble. From the pictures your hood looks to be in great shape. I've discovered that mine needs more than I thought. I should have pics this weekend when I attack it getting it ready for repair. One of the funnest parts is talking to and meeting some the great folks here. I'm planning on meeting 19richie66 Monday. He's got the tools and know how to fix the holes, straps and cracks properly. It should be a fun day and educational as well. I came pretty close to you a couple times when visited the kids close to South Bend a week ago.

Mine is much rougher than it looks. Someone years ago painted (cheap paint) over the rust pits on the sheet metal and it's going to take a lot of paint stripper and filler to get it back in shape. Not to mention the transmission which hasn't been taken apart yet which leaks like a sieve. The only bright spot is the K91 which is pretty much spot on.

Racinbob

Pictures can be deceiving but you still have a great little tractor to work with. The heart is beating good so that's a big plus. The tranny seals are easy but there are things you'll want to check in the process. You won't lack for any help you need from the folks on this site.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Pictures can be deceiving but you still have a great little tractor to work with. The heart is beating good so that's a big plus. The tranny seals are easy but there are things you'll want to check in the process. You won't lack for any help you need from the folks on this site.

Thanks Bob, that's the great thing about Red Square, the amount of knowledge here! I'm sure I'll need some help on this one.

Coadster32

Nice score, looks to be a great foundation to start a restoration with. My wife had a pretty good idea of what she was getting herself into when we got married back in 1992, I even warned her I didn't plan on changing my ways too much. I was originally in the muscle car hobby and blew thru thousands each year on my cars.  In comparison these little red tractors and my boat and outboard hobby are much cheaper on the pocket book. The trick is finding a happy balance of time spent on my hobbies and time spent of the honey do list.... I think I got it figured out,  70/30 seems to keep her happy.... Life is good.

That's about where I am 70/30. However my hobbies are a little backwards. Now I'm into a car, and trying not to go thru big money.

• Like 1