Kennedy

Smoky Mountains

Kennedy

My wife and I love hiking and looking for remnants of old home sites in the park. We were hiking in an area this time that was told to us to be where Dolly Parton's parents and family had lived.

We came across this old chimney

IMG_39621_zpsa956a5d1.jpg

There were some old pots in the chimney an old wash tub near a spring house and some other unidentifiable metal objects surrounding the area.

IMG_39631_zps9d95efad.jpg

IMG_39661_zps1b25c4ec.jpg

I continued down the foot path looking for more artifacts and came within one step of stepping on this fellow. His head was facing the other direction until I backed away to a safe distance and began yelling for the wife to bring the camera.Thank goodness.

IMG_39651_zpsf056e15e.jpg

Came across this interesting fungi. If I googled correctly this is called a stinkhorn.

IMG_39561_zps178a16cd.jpg

Thanks for looking

Mark

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Really neat picts...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

I too love exploring the woods. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Cool! Glad you didn't have an encounter with Mr. Diamondback. You would have needed more than a camera.

• Like 1

dcrage

Probably the favorite place I have visited in my life time -- Spent 2 days driving around in the Smokies back in 2005 -- Just loved it

• Like 1

RMCIII

Spent an entire week and a half there in the mid 90's. Wife was saying, just the other day, "would'nt it be great if we could locate the same cabin we stayed in?" Sure was a lot of fun. Went to Dollywood, Fontana Dam, Clingmans Dome, and just a whole bunch of other places.

Rob

• Like 1

Kennedy

We stayed in a cabin this time. Great little place for  a couple or a really close smaller family. It was one big room basically, with a small closet like room for the toilet. The shower was separate and you had to enter and exit into the main room.  Normally we stayed at hotels because my wife's brother worked for Marriott and got us really good discounts.

Mark

• Like 1

Sparky

Great pics....that snake would have made me jump outa my skin!

Mike...........

• Like 1

Kennedy

Oh I jumped when I realized what it was. Their camouflage is spectacular. That picture is with a good zoom.  I have been going to the smokies on vacation practically  my whole life. This was the first time I saw a poisonous snake while hiking.

RMCIII

We stayed in a cabin this time. Great little place for  a couple or a really close smaller family. It was one big room basically, with a small closet like room for the toilet. The shower was separate and you had to enter and exit into the main room.  Normally we stayed at hotels because my wife's brother worked for Marriott and got us really good discounts.

Mark

What Marriott? That brand is one of our corp. accounts.

Rob

Kennedy

It is in Gatlinburg. There were 2 now there is only one. The one we liked the best was close to the park entrance but it was bought out by another company. The other one is right as you come into Gatlinburg coming in from Pigeon Forge on the left.It is a Fairfield Inn,which is owned by Marriott. The discount isnt always available at that one so sometimes we stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville. We try to stay as close to the park as possible.

Mark

tunahead72

I've had several very close encounters with rattlesnakes at our place in Virginia, and every single one of them has scared the absolute s**t out of me.  I'm no naturalist by any means, but I understand we're now in the middle of what the locals call the dog days of summer, one effect of which is that rattlesnakes (and maybe other poisonous snakes as well?) develop a film over their eyes that makes it very difficult to see, so to protect themselves they'll strike at almost anything they can sense that moves near them.  Be VERY careful.

On a brighter note, it's funny to me how often you see chimneys still standing alone and tall in rural areas like these, with no visible means of support.  I'm sure there's a joke that connects that observation to Dolly Parton, but I can't think of what it would be right now. :)

Nice shroom.

• Like 1

km3h

Those are great photos. We spent two weeks camping in the park many years ago. Lots of hikes and plenty of wildlife. Saw many bears during our stay but no snakes. One of the most beautiful areas of this country.

One of my most memorable moments there was doing something very foolish. Stopped by the side of the road to take photos of a begging bear who would pop up when he heard a car approaching. Got out of the motorhome car and started tossing food to him or her and when we ran out of food the bear started to approach us. We ran like the wind and just made it in and closed the door in time.

First thing the Rangers tell you when entering a campground is to leave the wildlife alone and never feed them. We were indeed foolish.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Ed- the film means they are getting ready to shed their skin. Yes, they become even more aggressive during this time.

Rob

Mark- did you happen to see the snake crawl away? I was wondering how long you may have thought it was? From the photo it looks like about 2 feet?

Rob

Kennedy

Rob 

I didn't get a chance to see it move, other than the head turn around, or hear it rattle even with a nudge from a LONG stick. It was about 12.5" in diameter. I would guess it closer to 3 feet but that is just a guess.

AMC RULES

On a brighter note, it's funny to me how often you see chimneys still standing alone and tall in rural areas like these, with no visible means of support.  I'm sure there's a joke that connects that observation to Dolly Parton, but I can't think of what it would be right now. :)

Nice shroom.

Got Dollywood?

:teasing-poke: 

They don't call 'em...     :) 

the great Smokey Mountains for nothin'. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1