scotty

Rear transmission pully wont stop moving when clutch is depressed

scotty

And when belt guard is on it makes an awful clanking noise tried adjusting the clutch and everything has failed.

rmaynard

What model tractor are you taking about?

scotty

b-60 sorry about that

Lane Ranger

Check your brake side linkage and check to see if your drive belt is worn.  Belts  stretch out after a while and need to be replaced.   Buy a Toro drive belt and you won't be sorry.   If you see the rear pulley still moving on the right side with the clutch fully depressed you may have some other issues.  

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

scotty

What would be some of the problems? could there be any problems in the transmission?

rmaynard

The proper belt is a #7473. 5/8" x 82". The belt guard has several guides. One on the inside, and one on the front end that projects out and over the engine pulley, and one that is under the belt coming off the engine pulley. There is a measurement in the book about how far that guide is to be set from the belt when the belt is tight around the pulleys. That measurement is 1/32" both top and bottom.

As far as the noise, you need to make sure the belt is in-between the bottom of the guard and the guide on the inside. If the belt is slapping, and the clutch spring is pulling tight, I would suspect that you have the wrong belt or a stretched belt.

post-2221-0-83538000-1407194754.png

Edited by rmaynard

scotty

So the best bet would be to try a new belt first?

• Like 1

rmaynard

If everything else checks out okay, a new belt may be the solution. When did the problem start? Was it working okay before you took the belt guard off? What's the history on the B-60? 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

To answer your question...it is NOT inside the transmission.  There really is no clutch adjustment...just an adjustment of the height of the pedal.  A new belt could be the answer, but I would take the belt guard off, and clean the engine, tension and input pulleys with MINERAL SPIRITS  and wipe the belt with MINERAL SPIRITS (not soak)...put it back together and see how it works.  When I say wipe the belt...I mean just wipe off the dust...but clean the pulleys.

Without knowing how long you have had the horse, if you have been using it with no problems...or just bought it...hard to say.  If you just got it, could be some of the belt guides are gone...need to look.  IT IS NOT IN THE TRANSMISSION.  Let us know...if it turns out to be a belt (could be lack of guides)...you still want to do what I said about cleaning the pulleys...and you want to buy the right belt from TORO...like was said above. :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

scotty

I just got this wheel horse and the guy said it been doing it since he had it. i tried a new belt and cleaned pullys. I can now put it in gear without grinding. But when the clutch is fully depressed the clanky kind of noise comes back. Is there a picture of what a right belt guard should look like? Maybe thats not the problem im so confused haha.

Edited by scotty

stevasaurus

Does the belt stop rotating when you push in the clutch??

scotty

The belt is still moving a little but almost stopped. Any other steps? I am completly stumped.

rmaynard

Take the belt cover off and take some pictures of the entire assembly with the clutch released. Then have someone take a picture of the belt and idler when the clutch is depressed. Take some pictures of the inside of the belt cover and the tabs on the engine end.

You said it's a new belt, but it is the correct belt?

• Like 1

scotty

It turned out the belt guard was bent up we fixed it and now it works perfectly! Thanks for all the helpful answers.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for letting us know what the resolution was. It is always helpful to others who may have the same or similar situation.  :thumbs:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

What Bob said...Thanks for letting us know.  Glad you found and fixed the problem.  :)

• Like 2