Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

4 speed trans fix

Electro12WH

My B80's trans got water in it. Bad boot. How do I get all the moisture out before refilling it with gear lube?

WheelHorse_of_course

Several of our fine members recommend filling with diesel or kerosene, then running it breifly and then draining it.

Best of luck.

sorekiwi

I'd drain the old oil, then pour a couple of quarts of kerosene or diesel through it to try and wash out some of the sludge.

Then I would drain it again, this time refilling with engine oil. You can then drive the tractor around a bit. You want to get the trans reasonably warm, but dont overload it with the thin oil in there.

Then drain it again, (while it's still warm) and refill with your gear lube.

Kelly

I would do just what Mike just posted but when running the diesel in the trans, I'd block it up so the tires are off the ground and run it that way, just be careful and block it good, and when I put the motor oil in I also put a quart of ATF it cleans, and I over fill the trans with 3 quarts of oil while doing this, I think it helps get oil spread better in the trans, don't over fill when doing your final fill.

Kelly

Oh ya now is a good time to change the axle seals, brake drum seal, and input seal, and don't forget the shifter boot

Electro12WH

Thanks, folks! Good advise.

Electro12WH

Well, I drained the trans... a pint of water and a lot of sludge. I pulled the first hub and the woodruff keyway was broke out. Also the bearing has a lot of sideplay. I'm going to have to rebuild the thing. How much is this going to cost?Would I be better off buying a used four speed?

Electro12WH

I got a price on the bearings for the Uni drive from my Toro dealer... $300. The inner axle bearings are $65 a piece. I guess I'm still looking for a 4 speed trans.

oldandred

Last time i rebuilt one with all new bearing ex, the outer big bearing less than 100.00 I didnt use the bearing from toro

I took my case and shafts to a place that sell noting but bearing they matched every thing up and away I went smillimng all the way home look on the net for one near you

sorekiwi

I got a price on the bearings for the Uni drive from my Toro dealer... $300. The inner axle bearings are $65 a piece. I guess I'm still looking for a 4 speed trans.

I've rebuilt a couple of these now. I havent found the ball bearings yet (except from Toro) and couldnt convince myself to pay $65 for them so reused the old ones. All the others are Torringtons, they have numbers stamped on their ends. I buy them from Motion Industries https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/index.jsp for $6 to $8 each.

Oil seals I get from Napa, about $3 each.

Last box I did I think I spent $50 on bearings.

Get the gasket from Toro, I think about $10.

Their not hard to do, a bit intimidating at first, but download the manual and have at it. Plenty of people here that can give you advice...

Electro12WH

I would think that $50-75 is an acceptible price. I'll start pulling it apart and look for the numbers. Thanks.

KyBlue

I guess I need to do this to mine too.. I noticed there is now water in there, Id guess it came in thru the shift boot..

sorekiwi

Its worth taking a look inside, it probably will be an easy (if somewhat messy) fix.

You can buy another rear end for next to nothing, but unless you can get it locally it'll cost a ton for shipping, or for gas to go and get it. And then you dont know what you are getting either. Many of the members here (myself included) have spare transmissions tucked away, but I'll bet that 99% of them came off parts tractors that we aquired, and we have no idea whether the thing is any good or not.

The Torrington bearings are a self contained "tube" containing needle rollers. The ones on the end of the shafts are closed one end - they're the ones that look like freeze plugs from the outside of the case. These are hard to read the numbers on so you might have to find them by OD, ID and length. From memory (!) they're a B-1212 and B-1612. The others are open both ends and have "m-XXXX" numbers on one end. Usually you can read the numbers OK on the ones inside the case.

I finally spun up a set of aluminum bushes to remove and install them, but you can knock them in and out with suitably sized sockets.

Take a look at the condition of the shafts where they run on the bearings, you can get away with a bit of pitting, but I have seen severe wear where the bearing has actually locked up and scored the shafts pretty badly.

Let us know how it goes, and dont hesitate to ask questions!