Fordiesel69

Help: Starter Problem.

Fordiesel69

Video Here:

http://youtu.be/o7jcCMaaenc

Belts are off the engine.  Engine rolls over perfect with plug out.  Hooked a car battery with jumper cables direct to the starter to rule out any issues with wiring & soleoind.  Same problem.  Cranks, hits compression, then stops.

squonk

I'm thinking the starter bearings are going and when it hits compression it's binding up.

oldredrider

Yup. What Squonk said. Bad starter bearings will do just that. Acts like the compression release isn't working.

Fordiesel69

I am not saying it is not bad bearings, however the engine spins fine without the spark plug, and the starter sounds acceptable.  I have heard bad B&S starters and they sound horrific even with the plug out. 

So onto the compression release, how can I find out if this engine is supposed to have one and if it is working correctly?

km3h

Either the key in the flywheel has slipped or you have a valve problem or the compression release is not operating.

First check the flywheel key. that is the simplest thing to do. If all is good then you will have to pull the head. Look at the valve seat. either a valve is stuck, most likely the exhaust valve or the seat has slipped a few thousands into the combustion chamber. This is an easy fix. Tap the seat back into place and take a punch and peen around the outer rim of the seat where it fits into the block or head whichever the case may be.

If neither of these are the problem then you will have to dismantle the engine to fix the compression release.

Most all of these engines have a compression release. When the keyway has slipped on the flywheel the engine becomes out of time which will cause it to attempt to fire while both valves are closed because the release works in unison with timing. 

A stuck exhaust valve also will cause this to happen. When the seat itself moves into the compression chamber depending on the engine it either raises the valve off the cam shaft or if it is an overhead valve engine keeps push rod from forcing the valve to open, negating the compression release. A good test for this is to spray some starting fluid directly into the sparkplug hole and then try starting it. If it starts then you most likely have a valve problem. Make sure you use a fully charged battery and if available connect a hot car battery as a jumper. This will supply a lot of amperage to overcome the added compression.

I have experienced this problem on a number of occasions and have usually found the problem is what I described above.

Fordiesel69

Bummer.  Cheap crap.  Techumseh for White outdoor power equipment.  Never did write down the model, like an idiot.

546cowboy

Well there is the problem TECUMSEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

squonk

Tecky starters are almost as bad as the carbs. It will spin fine with out the plug because there is almost no load on it. If you have a compression tester try putting that on. If you get a crazy high reading it's an internal engine issue like a compression release