Butch

Ok, what's up with my engine not starting.

Butch

My C175 use to start very easily on the first crank. It has gone from that to taking a lot

of cranking to start. Maybe around 15 tries. There was nothing in between. From easy

to hard.

The oil, filters and plugs have 40 hours on them.

plugs can go bad , what brand are they?    i'd try new ones and check the spark

T McCool

Clean the carb, filter, could be a clogged fuel filter..etc. good idea to check the spark though.

stevasaurus

Butch...if you have points in that engine...check the gap (.020) this controls the timing.  In an older engine (many hours), I like to try the (.018) gap.  Above is the link for the engine manual.  If you have spark and the points look good, it is a fuel problem.  Unless it is a compression issue.  How does it run after it starts?  :)

Butch

I'll try all of the above and I'll check the gap.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:  Another thing to lok at would be the fuel pump, it has check valves in it and if they are not working 100 percent the fuel can leak down in between uses. After it has been sitting a few days crack the fitting at the carb and see if fuel cones out right away or has a long delay.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Butch

:twocents-twocents:  Another thing to lok at would be the fuel pump, it has check valves in it and if they are not working 100 percent the fuel can leak down in between uses. After it has been sitting a few days crack the fitting at the carb and see if fuel cones out right away or has a long delay.

Hope this helps.

When I bought the tractor the fuel pump leaked and that was the reason it was hard to start.

I wondered if it was fuel pump related again. Thanks!

AMC RULES

Wonder...does it sit for a long time in between use? 

Store it under cover or outside in the weather?     :eusa-think: 

Butch

Wonder...does it sit for a long time in between use? 

Store it under cover or outside in the weather?     :eusa-think: 

No, it's stored inside. May car and truck are outside but the tractors are inside. I wouldn't

say they sit a long time between starts. And last winter when we got our first snow it probably

was at least 3 months that it sat and it fired right up. My C-85, hit the ignition and it fires

right up. Thanks.

Butch

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you guys. Everything checked out ok. All of a sudden it began

starting as normal. Now I'm baffled. Maybe a speck of sand in the carb that is now gone? It fires

right up again. Everything is perfect with it.