Sign in to follow this  
km3h

KT17 Coil Replacement

km3h

I read somewhere that you can use a Harley Davidson coil on the Kohler twins. I can't seem to find that thread. Is there a special Harley coil that can be used and what modifications will I have to make in order to use it?

The coil for a Kohler is about $180.00, give or take a few dollars. Harley coil is less than $100.00. This is for my 416-8. Seems the engine runs well but if you pull the wire for the back cylinder the engine dies. Pull from the front cylinder and it drops RPMs but runes. Now reverse the wires on the coil and it runs on the rear cylinder but not the front. I assume the coil is bad but I will ohm it out tomorrow.

Funny thing is that I have spark coming from both sides of the coil. I suspect one side is weak. I did put new plugs in it but haven't pulled them yet to see how they look. again tomorrow I will do that.

Edited by km3h

boovuc

The older Sportster Twins, (900 to 1000cc), is what I used and it is still on my C-175. Mine was off a 1975. As a matter of fact, I think the coil was about the only thing that worked as it should have on that AMF Piece of ............!

Martin

Nick, can't search now but look in a kt17 thread I had on coil replacement. You need to use a 5 ohm coil if it's a points setup.

Martin

Found it.......

Edited by Martin

km3h

Martin, I already bought the coil, remember. I ordered a Gorilla I found on EBay. I haven't put it in yet as I have been tied up with other projects. Thanks for doing the research for me. You told me last that mine is the same one you used. 

Martin

Yeah, sorry, been a long day......

km3h

Put the Harley Davidson coil in today and cut grass. Tractor always runs better on two cylinders.

post-2564-0-91673200-1407551154_thumb.jppost-2564-0-94329400-1407551203_thumb.jp

Not sure if I will leave it there or not. Hard to find suitable spot to mount it. I will most likely fabricate a bracket for it later.

• Like 1