truckin88

BBQ Smoker for meat

truckin88

Anybody here into smoking meat. Really looking into getting one once my job changes, I should have time on the weekend to work around the house while meat is becoming delicious. Looking at propane and charcoal or even building an ugly drum smoker.

Thanks,

Will

RMCIII

Well, the only way I truly would do it, is to smoke it with wood and nothing else. You can't get that rich, sweet taste from gas or charcoal. I've helped smoke A LOT of meat, and the taste is truly different when done properly. IMO you make your smoker. Find an old freezer on top, ref. on bottom and do some cutting to make the smoke/heat be able to rise to the upper compartment. The lower compartment is used for the wood, Line it with addition insulation that is covered with a flame retardant material. Make sure you also cut a hole in the very top for venting purpose and one on the bottom for venting.

Rob

truckin88

I am looking at building a uds smoker, chk youtube if you havent heard of them. Tge propane and charcoal still use wood for smoke they just provide consistent heat source.

Shynon

I have an offset char broil, which I converted to a reverse flow, lump charcoal and wood. Have a Masterbuilt 40  in the garage for winter smoking (chimney through the roof). I  am no expert just enjoy smoking.

Tom

• Like 1

Ken B

Will, once you get that smoker up and smokin I say its high time for a meet and greet! :ychain:

truckin88

Ken,I just got a new job M-F weekends off schedule, can't wait. Maybe next summer for a meet and greet once I have some horses to show, right now I have nothing, the current job just killed any part of life not job related, thankfully I have an understanding wife. 

BTW I almost made it to the big show this year was in Hershey PA that weekend for a conference for my wife, but I got sick....no wheel horse luck this year, maybe next.

Edited by truckin88

Kennedy

I have a cookshack smoker. It is electric and you cant go wrong with it. They are expensive but so easy to use. Its like the Ronco rotissere oven just set it and forget it. It is basically an oven with a wood box. Cabelas sells similar cheaper units, but cookshack is 100% made in USA. Here is their link:  http://www.cookshack.com/ 

Any more questions just ask. They also have a forum that is very helpful much like this site.

Mark

nylyon

You can do the Alton Brown Garbage Can Smoker which is inexpensive and easy to make!

• Like 1

Foozerush

I have a homemade barrel grill. Love it. I smoke on it all the time. Charcoal and wood ( apple, hickory are my choice). Have a 14lb turkey in action this past weekend. And yes, Swim that bird in a brine before, taste amazing. ehugupe5.jpg

• Like 2

redidbull

I made this a couple years back. It is big enough to smoke 2 whole chickens on the rotisserie with the coals in the center for indirect heat. Cooks them without burning. Jim

post-4439-0-49844200-1408379346.jpg

post-4439-0-32238600-1408379356.jpg

Foozerush

Nice.... Like that design Jim. Here is my mini grill to match the big one. nuhymugy.jpguza5yrug.jpg