Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Scrap prices way down

Nick

Just hauled a load of dozer parts in for scrap and prices are way down. The last #1 steel I took in was around $300 a ton and today it was $170. Sign in the window said prices had just went down $50 a ton on Sept. 27, so last week I would have got near $40 more for the same load. :banghead:

I did find that the big F-450 ambulance hauler actually weighs 8,750 pounds. :USA:

KyBlue

Bout time... Damn scrappers are stealin and takin everything thats metal and aint screwed down ...

perry

Bout time... Damn scrappers are stealin and takin everything thats metal and aint screwed down ...

aint that the truth.

but its nice when us legit guys can make a little $$$ cleaning out our barns and yards.

i only got $80 ton for a car 2wks ago.

KyBlue

Yeah Perry, it sucks that you and nick are getting less ... now if the cost of stuff would go down... like fuel

Nick

For a while scrappers were stealing stuff out of yards and fields around here. They were even cutting batteries off equipment. Just this week the police had some thieves surrounded in a corn field near us but they were able to sneak off. Then to get away they stole a truck out of a farmers barn. To bad he didnt have some mean dogs in there.

KyBlue

Im really suprised that somebody hadnt try to make off with with that huge tank and my trailer, or even the 1x1 Angle stock thatwas laying around..

saguaro

Watching the new the other day. They were stealing the plaques and earns off graves. :banghead:

linen beige

There was a bright side to the high prices. Most all of the old junk that was littering the countryside (and the front porches) in eastern Ky. has been cleaned up. The local scrap yard here was so busy they had to have police directing traffic from sun-up to sun-down, six days a week for most of the summer.

When I was still patrolling, I would come across at least one late night scrap hound a week. Most wouldn't take anything they knew they shouldn't, and some would even report those that did, but some would take gutters/ downspouts, and siding right off of houses when no one was looking. I rounded a corner one night and spotted a thug riding down the street on a bicycle with a bunch of siding under one arm. He tried to quickly cut between houses to get away. He rode the bike to the left of a small tree, the siding went to the right, and UMPH!, easy catch! (Another time I could have used a dash-cam.). A little investigating found that he was grabbing a little here and a little there and stashing it in the back of an abandoned tobacco warehouse. He even had an old Murray lawn tractor in the pile.

Duff

Yeah, up my way they stole metal pieces off a BRIDGE, manhole covers, storm drain covers and the chains and fences from around some cemeteries. :USA:

I've got some friends who are legitimate scrap dealers and they are really PO'd that the thieves ware making everyone look bad.

On the plus side, a lot of junk that was an eyesore around here has now gone to what I hope is a good use.

Duff :banghead:

jusjeepn

I'm a lineman and you think scrap steel is bad. We had thieves cut the fence, break into our shop and steal the copper from 12 trucks and all our copper on the docks. Replacing the copper on all our pole grounds is a never ending battle. Some guys even got killed stealing "live" copper power lines just south of our area. It's getting pretty bad, so I'm glad to see prices go down.

Pat

KyBlue

We had that happen around here too. Couple of guys tried to steal some live wires...didnt work out for em as you can imagine!

poodle

I'm an electricain and partime scrap hound and I only take it if its in the trash or I'm given permission and it funds my bad habbits aka trucks and tractors it is the thieves that make us look bad and make it hard to make a living to I can't begin to tell you the amount of wire thats been stolen of job sites it's real bad around boston got into a few fist fights my self :ranting:stoping guys that were in the act of stealing ground wires and breaking into jobtrailers soo I'm said that I need a new funds sorce but glad that some of the madness may stop

HorseFixer

For those of you that make yer cash off the scrap sorry for the decline but I have missed a couple nice tractors this summer that got crushed! :banghead: for that I am happy the scrap is going down! One of the ones I missed was a 701 :USA: I mean that thing didnt have a straight piece of tin on it! Ya ever seen a grown man cry? Not a pretty sight!

Duke

Buzz

My daughter works at Giordanos Recycling Center (sounds better than junkyard) in Vineland and she said last week they lowered their prices three times in one day. People called for prices but by the time they got there they had dropped. If they were regulars or had a truckload they got the price they were told, if not you got the current price. Owners are worried, they just ordered a two million dollar shredder that will be installed next spring.

refracman

Yup. week before last was talking to the puchasing agent at a steel mill I call on and he said their clean shreded price went from $850 a ton to $350 a ton.

Like Duke said thou at least the scrappers wont be willin to give much at the auctions now as in the past.