Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Digging with the backhoe

Mith

I'm sure most of you have seen these pictures elsewhere on the web, but I thought I might post them here anyway.

Backhoe performs well on the back of the 312. I think the 'hoe is a little heavy for the rear axle, but it is holding up thus far.

I have tested it digging to 5', but it should dig to 6'. Pulled a couple of stumps out this afternoon.

16-12-07_1322.jpg

16-12-07_1546.jpg

DSC_0093Small.jpg

Sparky

Is it the original tranny? I think the originals were the 1" axle type with 4 pinions. The 1-1/8" axle trannys with the 8 pinions are considered to be Wheel Horse's strongest trannys. If you kill that tranny look for an 8 pinion with the big axles.

Mike.....

Rollerman

Is there really much differance between the case on say the 312A or the D200?

I don't mean internally but the case itself?

Mith the digger looks like fun!

The construction company I work for has some big trac hoes & I always like getting seat time in them on the dirt jobs.

Somehow I don't think yours will fill a 40ton Terex off road truck in 4 scoops :P

Serious though...thats some fine handywork to build that & you have my compliments. :D

nylyon

That just looks awsome. 5' is pretty good in my book!

Nick

Very nice work on your backhoe project and looks like it does a great job. The more I see of it the more I wish we could get to building ours. Also, for some reason I thought you were in one of the southern states..guess your bit more to the East. :D

T-Mo

Yes, 5 foot is pretty good in my book also. Real nice job on that project. Good job.

kj4kicks

Great Job Mith !

Amazing what a 312 will put up with!

Eldon.

Mith

Thanks guys.

Mike, the trans is the 8 pinion one with the larger axles. The backhoe weighs about 4-500lbs. The whole tractor weighing maybe 1800-2000lbs.

Tickster, its a toy really compared to some machines. I could park it in the bucket of one of the friends machines. They cant fit through a garden gate though!

I was a little unclear in my first post, it will dig down 6', but I havent had a need to dig down that far yet.

Rollerman

Mith...somehow I dont think the Cat 345 or Kobelco SK480 excavaters will have to much trouble with your garden gate...LOL :D

I can see where your comeing from though being able to get into & through small areas.

They sell a lot of the "Teramite" mini backhoe/loaders over here...but the price is to high for a fun toy. :P

Your 312A is slick...considering it's all of your handywork...& even more tricky to build considering it's somewhat of an odd ball tractor over there I'm guessing?

Mith

:D No, they wouldnt. Might have to take out the corner of the house too though!

Actually, considering the weight, its pretty easy on the lawn. Much easier than a tracked mini of the same weight. I pulled 2 stumps as in the last picture (about 5" at the base) and the damage was very minimal. Just broke a few roots with the hoe, and lifted them out with the loader.

The 312 isnt all that unusual, but it is unusual to see one with attachments, let alone a loader and hoe.

I can gets parts quite easily, but its so non-standard now there arent many stock parts that will fit, just the trans really.

willy victor

Mith add some outriggers to take the weight off the rear axle, that will give you something to do.

Dan

willy victor

Whoops I think you allready did, man that was fast.

Dan

combatmp29r

Hey Mith do you have any photos of the backhoe while you built it? I looked at your site today and I have to say very nice work. I didn't see anything about the hoe on there though. Again very nice

Joel

Mith

Dan, you got it, they are tucked right behind the wheels.

Joel, I havent had the chance to update my site for a while, there are some pics here though.

Cheers

Greg B.

Very, very nice, Mith.

Greg B.

combatmp29r

Mith, thanks for the link to the other forum. It was really informative. Again great job on the mods.

Mith

Made another bucket for the digger today. The old one was 9" wide, great for trenches, but it felt like digging with a teaspoon for bigger holes.

Knocked up a 14" bucket. Seems to handle it just fine, a few teeth and it'll dig like a dream.

12-03-08_1736.jpg

Sparky

How do you find the time to do all this? I have to plan ahead just to get an oil swap done on one of mine :thumbs: .

Mike...........

Stigian

How do you find the time to do all this? I have to plan ahead just to get an oil swap done on one of mine :thumbs: .

The TV's rubbish over here :thumbs:

Sparky

Thats true about the television choices. I was over there last year and it was'nt great TV. I did see Coronation Street twice :thumbs: .

Mike...........

Nick

Mith, Thats a nice looking bucket. :thumbs: If you have some scrap around might even go bigger for working in loose material. Every time I see you backhoe I think we have to get started on ours. Just looking at your cylinders they might be close to what I have. Guessing mine are around 2.75 x 14" but been so long since they came I have forgoten. Might just have to get some measurments off you someday to save a bit of build on the fly time. Thats if we ever get started..

Sparky and Ian, What about movies like Hot Fuzz but have to say I prefer Shaun of The Dead. :thumbs:

Stigian

Hot Fuzz wasnt too bad a film, i have to agree Shaun of the Dead is much better :thumbs:

Mith

Mike, yup, TV is rubbish. Only took a couple hours, cut the material one evening, and all the welding yesterday.

You poor soul, nobody should have to watch coronation street, let alone twice! That sort of stuff can rot your brain!

Nick, that was the last of my sheet metal, I went as big as the material allowed. A 24" would be nice for scraping its true. Maybe I'll pick some decent sheet up this summer.

My rams are 2x12".

T-Mo

Jim,

Looks good. As for as bad TV, that never stopped me from watching. :thumbs: