MikesWheelHorse

cv20s clicks but wont start

MikesWheelHorse

I hooked up a new battery and it just clicks. I'm thinking I need a new starter, I found a cheap one but I wanted to make sure this would fit and if lester makes quality parts. Thanks!

http://powerstoresonline.com/p/265333/Starter%20For%20Kohler%202409801%202509808%202509809%202509811-%252d%252d-0O003CY07DF98.html

Edited by MikesWheelHorse

JustinW.73

Make sure the solinoid is ok. To do this take a thick wire and jump them from where the battery hooks in to the solinoid to the opposite one that goes to the starter.  If it works then its a bad solinoid. If it does the same thing check all connections.

MikesWheelHorse

Make sure the solinoid is ok. To do this take a thick wire and jump them from where the battery hooks in to the solinoid to the opposite one that goes to the starter.  If it works then its a bad solinoid. If it does the same thing check all connections.

Is there any videos on this? 

I had some 4 gauge wire I tried to put across the top two post nothing happened.. Not sure if I did it right.

I think I know what your talking about.. I'm gonna go try it cause I have to hop of the net for now.. Thanks.

Edited by MikesWheelHorse

JustinW.73

Ya I've seen videos on youtube about testing them. If it didn't work could be loose connection or bad battery. If you think its a bad battery hook up a battery charger and set it on around 40 amps or jump it off another lawn tractor or something of same size

Geno

Hey Mike.  Let me give you some steps to try.  We will start with the starter and be working back through the system.

If you hear a click check to see if the click is coming from the starter or the solenoid. Get someone else to turn the key while you put your ear to the starter and solenoid, this helps a lot.  If the click is coming from the starter you can hit it lightly with a hammer while holding the key in the start position and see if it ever tries to turn over.  If it does, you will have a ground problem at the starter or a starter problem.

If the click is coming from the solenoid then use a screwdriver which is much safer than a piece of wire. The wire can actually heat up quickly and burn you if the connection is not good. You want to connect the 2 larger posts on the solenoid.  Just put the screwdriver under one of them then bring it down on the other.  If it turns over than you have a solenoid problem or you are not getting voltage to the post from the switch that engages the solenoid.

You can bypass the switch and test the solenoid also by conecting a jumper from the battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid or use the srewdriver trick again. Put the screwdriver to the large post from the battery on the solenoid to the small one if possible. Depending on how the solenoid is made and where the terminals are you may not be able to make that connection.  If it turns over after this then you have a switch issue or connection issue at the solenoid.

If you get to the end of this and need more testing plenty of people here can help and I will keep an eye on your post as well.  :)

• Like 1

KATO

Whatever you do, DO NOT hit your starter with a hammer ???

there are magnets inside it that you very well could break by hitting it

if its not bad now it likely will be after you beat on it. :twocents-02cents:

Geno

Whatever you do, DO NOT hit your starter with a hammer ???

there are magnets inside it that you very well could break by hitting it

if its not bad now it likely will be after you beat on it. :twocents-02cents:

Hi Kato. :greetings-waveyellow:   I told Mike "you can hit it lightly with a hammer", and yes you can. I learned this from my dad when I was very young.  I remember the first time my dad showed me this trick.  We were out in a field about a mile from shop on the farm and the old Super M wouldn't start the starter just clicked.  He took a hitch pin and told me to push the starter button.  He hit the starter with the hitch pin and she fired right up.  Several times in my life this has happend to me when I was out and a tap or 2 with the old tire iron that came with the car or truck at least got me home.

Most times the first light tap makes the starter start spinning and you know where to start working.  If I have a car, truck or tractor towed to my shop it is the first thing I do when it is out on the lot.  90% of the time it works and I drive it in the shop and put it on a rack.  I prefer it to pushing it in and have also diagnosed an area to start working before it is even in the shop.  I have been doing this on tractors large and small and on vehicles for over 35 years and never had a problem.  I have owned my own repair business for 20 years now never had a problem. Another reason I do this is to find an actual problem quickly and not just throw parts at it, customers don't like that very much.

The case can not flex enough to break the magnet unless you hit it hard enough to flex or dent the casing, which would be very, very hard.  :)

• Like 1