horse75

hydrostatic transmission fluid for model 312A

horse75

I have a model 312A that requires sae20 motor oil for the transmission. I cannot find sae20 oil. What can i use as a replacement oil or where can i find sae20 oil?

rmaynard

According to the lubrication chart that came out in 1998, the recommended oil for your transmission is Gearcase SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil. 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/488-chart-tractor-1956-1999-lubrication-recommendations-drive-belt-mower-blades-492-0392pdf/

Edited by rmaynard

shallowwatersailor

Some Tractor Supply stores carry 20W in gallon jugs. Later Lubrication charts recommend 30W for the transmission which is the plastic reservoir. The transaxle use 10W-30 motor oil and is checked with the dipstick.

post-3066-0-38621300-1405354754_thumb.jp

gwest_ca

The original 20 weight was changed to 30 weight in 1991 and 40 weight in hot climates

I would go with the 10-30 or 10-40 since that is the latest recommendation.

Garry

shallowwatersailor

The 312A has two different requirements. One for the transmission and the other for the transaxle.

GeoPeg

I have a similar scenario to that of horse75, except mine is a 314A - My original operators manual states "Hydrostatic transmission requires a straight SAE 20 weight premium quality motor oil API service classification SC, SD, SE, or SF. Transaxle requires 10W30 or 10W-40 premium quality motor oil."

I too have found 20 wt impossible to buy except on-line, in case quantities. The only question I would ask is what's the risk using 10W-30? Will the higher viscosity at operating temperatures potentially cause any seal failures?

Just for grins, I have the original sales receipt from 1985, my dad paid $2999 for the tractor and $555 for the 42" SD deck. Wish I could buy a new one of this quality at that price today!