humnbass

k301 no compression?

humnbass

I went to pick up a Raider 12 yesterday and could spin the motor around with my hand as if it didn't have any compression.  I spoke with the PO and he told me that it's probably a compression release spring that's probably gone bad but it could be fixed with ease.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  This is my first tractor so I just want to know if I've gotten beaten or not. 

thanks.

KC9KAS

I think the engines have to be spun close to 600 RPM before the compression release closes......This helped me to buy an engine years ago.

As I turned the engine by hand, there wasn't compression, so the guy let me have it at a much lower price!

Turned it with the started at ome and it had all kinds of compression!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Could also be a busted rod, or valve problem, who knows.

• Like 2

WH nut

My vote is broken rod

humnbass

Wow! I thank you guys for your replies. I'm glad I posted because I had ruled out a broken rod thinking that if it was I would hear some noise (rattling, knocking or something) when I turned the motor. Worst case scenario would be that I would have to rebuild the engine. I'm mechancally savvy to a point. I have built performance VW aircooled engines so how hard and how expensive would it be to rebuild the engine. Also, is it worth me doing so or should I just cut my losses. here are some pics

post-13472-0-15025900-1405349039_thumb.j

post-13472-0-84533900-1405349572_thumb.j

oldredrider

Engine rebuild and a coat of paint=another 30 years of service.

WH nut

Do you have a decent deck for it. Otherwise you might be wise to let her go and find one complete for the money you will put into it.

humnbass

No there isn't a deck for it. I found one but it's a 47" for $250.

WH nut

And for 5 or 6 hundred you can have a nice complete running tractor. You will spend a couple hundred easy on fixing the motor

ericj

whats the guy asking for the tractor any thing much over $ 100.00 would be almost to much in my opinion but i have paid more for less. unless you really want another project i would look for something better

eric j 

humnbass

Well Guys,

I'm torn as to what to do about this tractor.  What do you guys think would be a fair price for it?  Here are a couple additional pictures.  It's not running which means I have no idea if the tranny is good but I kinda like it.  However, I don't want my judgement to be clouded either where I regret it later.  I'm leaning towards not getting it (I'm kinda stalling).  I just want to be sure that I'm not passing on something that I should have just bitten the bullet and got it.  I definitely won't pay more than $150 for it under no circumstances.

thanks again

post-13472-0-12547200-1405429740.jpg

post-13472-0-27175000-1405429754.jpg

WH nut

Boy for me, a none running Hydro is only worth about 50 bucks. Its a gamble on the trans

humnbass

Thank you.  That's what I needed to hear.  I'll go $60.00 max.  Thanks again.

humnbass

Well Guys, I got the Raider 12.  Now I must find out all of the unknowns:  Does it run, is the tranny good, what is that lever on the left for?  How to install the belts etc.  The price was just right.  Yes!!!!

Catmanii

Lever on the left raises and lowers the deck. Download a manual for it and take the plug out to see if the piston is moving up and down - or not.

WH nut

How right was the price?

ford2go

Hope it worked out for you. For future ref, if you don't feel compression, you should pull the plug to make sure that the piston is going up and down.

K seres are sensitive to oil level and they will snap the connecting rod (don't ask me how I know).

They do have a compression release, but you should feel something. I think that the CR just keeps the intake open a bit longer.  (Without the CR, you WILL NOT turn it by hand)

Good news is that you can get parts and changing a rod isn't bad -- unless the crank is too badly messed up. You can save a crank that's not too badly damaged.  I managed it with some 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper, but that one just had some deposits from the rod on it. ( The rod had started to sieze before it snapped). If you have other issues, you can usually find folks who have some good advice.

Good luck with it. 

hj