1952m38

the dreaded eaton 700......

1952m38

I would like to start off saying thank you for having me on this fine site! I have been lurking for awhile now and just recently inherited a 1986 312-a, with an eaton 700. I know the reputation of the 700 is not held in hi regards. I am pretty sure that it's toast. My symptoms are the tractor will roll free in either direction, when started up the direction lever can be moved front and back, but no movement of the tractor. Last year it worked great, over the winter something seems to have happened. This tractor has had a pretty easy life of mowing a fairly flat one acre lot. I drained the oil from the trans today, to my knowledge this has never been done since New. The oil was very thin but clean. No burnt look or smell, no whiteness, no metal shavings. I still have a glimmer of hope that one of the check valves got stuck over the winter? Before I start looking for a replacement 700, does it seem like a logical thought? I have read up on the 1100 upgrade, but this tractor has great sentimental value, I am trying to keep it as original as possible. I really appreciate any insight. Steve

oldredrider

Before condemning the transmission prematurely, check that the drive pulley is turning (tight on) the input shaft.

Also be sure your hubs are tight on the axles.

The 700 eaton is not a bad transmission, just not great for ground engaging equipment.

Since it has had a life of mowing only, there is still hope for it.

• Like 1

1952m38

Thanks for the reply. I know the diff. still works, because when I turn one side the other turns opposite. Any thoughts on having a check valve stuck open? Thanks again

gwest_ca

Service manual for your transmission

Garry

1952m38

Just wanted to give an update. I have tore into the transmission and am happy to report nothing that leads me to believe the trans is toast. The reservoir was filled with sludge & the pickup tube/filter was plugged. So I'm pretty sure it wad low on fluid and filthy. Everything is getting a good cleaning & paint while it's apart. Thank you for the help.

Theroundhousernr

I have an eaton 700 in good shape if your interested. Just in case you run into an issue and it doesn't work out for you. :handgestures-thumbupright:

PaulC

the eaton 700's do not roll freely like the 1100's do. there is a lever that is right behind the motion control lever that needs to be pulled up which will disengage the drive belt, then with the that lever up you have to push the motion control lever forward and it will allow the tractor to roll but it still wont roll easy. I have a 312-A and a 312-H and the H with the 1100 can be pushed with one hand without moving any levers.

Now if you had the drive belt disengaging lever up but did not move the motion lever forward the tractor would not roll when off and would not move at all when started either, im guessing you know this and hope it wasn't something this simple. But either way it cant be a bad thing that you have opened it up and are cleaning it. Also I don't think the oil in the 700's ever needs to be changed.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you figure out.

• Like 1

1952m38

Hi Paul, thanks for the info. I was aware of the lever to disengage the drive belt. I'm almost positive it was just low on fluid and very dirty. After putting it back together filling with fluid and bleeding the air, it seems to be working good by hand. I haven't put it all back together yet. The only thing that makes me wonder is when I rotate the drive pulley by hand the brake drum on the other side of the transmission rotates as well. As it should. But, the axles don't rotate, almost like the trans isn't engaging the transaxle. Again this is all being rotated by hand. Does this sound normal? Thanks again.

PaulC

I am not positive on the turning by hand thing but I would think you are not able to turn it fast enough? another thought is you would have to push the motion control lever forward to see the axles spin?

1952m38

That's what I was wondering, if I just am not spinning it fast enough. Havana to fire it up and see. Thanks

1952m38

Well, I have bad news. After getting my hopes up after finding all the crud & putting it back together. I finally started the tractor up tonight to the same problem, no movement :snooty: It looks like I am now in the market for a good used eaton 700. If anyone has one in known good shape & would like to part with it, let me know. Thank you, steve

1952m38

Just wanted to give a big thank you to member Bert for hooking me up with a spare hydro. Happy to report tractor is moving under its own power again:)

• Like 1

Bert

Happy to have helped  :) Ive got a shop and two biuldings full of parts, gonna start watching the wanted posts a little more closely. 

1952m38

Good to know!