squonk

Napa 1410 filter cut open

squonk

I have been singing the praises of a Napa 1410 Hydro filter for a couple of years. I am not badmouthing  OEM Toro, but not all of the members here have a Toro dealer nearby. Plus not all dealers (including mine) stock the Toro filter. It gives members another option and there will be no need to hesitate to buy a Napa (Wix) filter. My local Napa stocks the 1410 or can get it within hours if needed as opposed to over a week from the dealer. I cut open the Toro once. Wish I had pics.If I remember right the Toro had less pleats and a piece of tin (Like Fram) as opposed to the real spring in the Napa 1410. If another member removes a Toro filter maybe they can cut it open and post pics. If I ever run across another one I'll cut it open and post them here.

post-2380-0-50222900-1405294674_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-22100400-1405294717_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-03820700-1405294753_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Racinbob

Years ago I did the same with several brands of oil filters. What prompted it was when a friend who worked at a Ford dealer razzed me for using a Target branded filter. Of course he said I should only use Motorcraft. So I opened up 4 or 5 filters (after using them) and put them on display on a piece of plywood. The NAPA, Motorcraft and, of all things, the Target, looked like they were much higher in quality and had the most pleats. I even did a Motorcraft from the dealer and one from Walmart just in case my friend tried to say that Walmart purchased filters weren't like the dealers. A couple of other brands were so so and the Fram was, by far, the cheapest looking. It had cardboard where the others were metal. Of course I'm talking engine filters here but I do use the NAPA filter on my Wheel Horse Command motor with no worries.

• Like 3

KATO

:text-yeahthat: I too cut apart Many filters over the years because of where i worked in the past and

for curiosity sake. Fram is by far the worst ive seen Purolator ,AC Delco , Mopar

Wix ,Napa, Motorcraft, Pennzoil,all looked pretty nice inside. Ive seen oil filters collapse inside

on race engines...so steel construction and good filter media is imperitive.

shallowwatersailor

I can't tell from the photos but does the Napa 1410 have indentations to take an end-cup filter wrench? I just changed the Toro filter (that is smooth) on the 523Dxi that was on so tight that I ended up driving a screwdriver through it to lever it off. All the tricks were used before resorting to this. The new owner prevailed - and I did get it changed!

• Like 1

Racinbob

I like to use the type such as K&N that have a 'nut' on the end so a socket or wrench will work.

• Like 1

squonk

The 1410 does have the indents on the end for a cup wrench. :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

MalMac

squonk, I agree, I use a Wix which is the same thing. Auto Parts store just down the road carries them in stock. Wish they were black though. Also I use a Snap On strap wrench for removal. Just slide it over the filter and use a extension and ratchet then Wa La easy off.

ri702bill

I agree with Squonk, the NAPA filters are made by Wix, in the USA, and the quality & performance are great. Fram Filters, once made here in East Providence, RI are now so poorly made in Mexico that I will no longer use them. Had one a few years back that did not have the top plate tapped thru completely (it would only screw on 2 threads). Took it back and bought a Purolator. Problem solved - been using them since.

Bill

rick

+1 on the NAPA 1410,I have been using NAPA filters for a long time. It doesn't hurt that I have a commercial account at the NAPA store! :)

• Like 1

Forest Road

A good friend of mine runs a company with manufacturing in China and South Carolina. They make the paper elements for air and oil filters. Just the paper no metal at all. They're the primary vendor for most filter companies. They will build to whatever the customer specs. So in theory all these filters we're cutting apart probably have paper from the same plant!

FYI all over the next 2 years all of their manufacturing will be done in SC. Bah BYE China!!!

• Like 5

squonk

Finally got my hands on a WH filter to cut open. This thing is old! I could barely make out the Wheel Horse printing on it. This came off my 1075. Filter pleats not bad but still not as good as a 1410. It also has a cheapy spring like a junk Fram. I want to get a hold of a black one to see if the cheapened it up any from the red ones.

IMG_2068.JPG.8bf386875005fbd62412ea2100a1752f.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG.46d6a59adf4c11a43157e141fe185984.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG.5b968ca72ec70c46242330e4b0caeab7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Are you that bored ? LOL

• Haha 3

rjg854

He's recuperating, so yeah, he's got way too much time on his hands :laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 Automatic

Fram has been making garbage for decades, and I have had a grudge against them for that long.  In 1986 I had a 71 Dodge charger SE with a good running 383 magnum.  Did an oil change with a Fram filter.  Drove down the road 3 miles after and it threw a rod through the block.  When I tore it down saw no problems that would cause this so I cut the filter apart.  The internal element collapsed and crumpled up upon itself, blocking off all oil to the engine.  Wont use them ever since.

• Excellent 2
  • Sad 3

tom2p

NAPA 1410 looks like a better filter 

of course I have a bunch of OEM Toro filters   lol

• Like 1

squonk
12 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Are you that bored ? LOL

Listen you old coot, :) The inquisitive mind within me has been wanting to know the quality of the WH/Toro since there some folks here that say "You should use the OEM filter" and Toro dealers are dwindling by the day. Guys are ordering them and waiting whilst they could just drive to a local Napa or Wix dealer and get a better filter. :auto-layrubber:

• Like 5

Racinbob

Absolutely nothing wrong having an inquisitive mind. That's why I did the same thing back in the 90's. I had them mounted on a chunk of plywood and hanging in my pole barn. The results are in post #2 from 6 years ago. The NAPA, Motorcraft and Target filters were all about the same on the top shelf. A couple others were so-so and Fram was in a league of it's own being total junk. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

At least I have made it to the old coot age , means I am out of the dumb ass stage of my life , I think. :ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Lee1977

Wix makes good filters. I worked for Wix back in the 70's.  I got hit in the rear by a Mack truck hauling a load of liquid sugar. That stopped me from driving around 60 mile one way to work.They were manufacturing around 35 different brands of oil filters. I can't say they were all the same. I was making experimental flat air filters for Ford  and working on a filter washing machine for large truck air filters.

I still use Wix air and oil filters.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
On 7/13/2014 at 7:39 PM, squonk said:

I have been singing the praises of a Napa 1410 Hydro filter for a couple of years. I am not badmouthing  OEM Toro, but not all of the members here have a Toro dealer nearby. Plus not all dealers (including mine) stock the Toro filter. It gives members another option and there will be no need to hesitate to buy a Napa (Wix) filter. My local Napa stocks the 1410 or can get it within hours if needed as opposed to over a week from the dealer. I cut open the Toro once. Wish I had pics.If I remember right the Toro had less pleats and a piece of tin (Like Fram) as opposed to the real spring in the Napa 1410. If another member removes a Toro filter maybe they can cut it open and post pics. If I ever run across another one I'll cut it open and post them here.

post-2380-0-50222900-1405294674_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-22100400-1405294717_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-03820700-1405294753_thumb.jp

Is the NAPA 1410 the hydraulic filter for my 94' 520H, Eaton 1100 trans. ?

pfrederi

Wix 51410 or Napa 1410 (same filter different label)  correct for your 520 hydro

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Wix 51410 or Napa 1410 (same filter different label)  correct for your 520 hydro

I believe I read where the hydro filter is supposed to be rated to filter down to 10 microns (size of particles). Do you know if these two filters are rated for that ?

squonk

Filter is rated at 21 microns. It works fine.

• Like 1

bc.gold

IMO if you followed the manufactures maintenance schedule for filter replacements it wouldn't matter which brand of filter you used as long as the numbers cross over.

I routinely cut filters open to inspect for metal particles magnetic and non magnetic types. Shiny chrome specs possible bearings, brass would be bushings or thrust washers or piston slippers, black particles in moderation could be considered normal wear.

Edited by bcgold

bottjernat1

Doing regular maintenance yes its true if you do regular maintenance that's good. But I will tell you first hand a filter is not just a filter. The cheap ones can cause damage over time specially on how cheap they are made. I used frame ones on my 01 dakota for years well the last 5 years i had all sorts of engine issues and i did regular oil changes and did what ever the truck needed when it needed it. Wished i would have used a wix or some like it. So it does matter. you buy cheap you get what you get

• Like 1