squonk

Napa 1410 filter cut open

bc.gold
36 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

Doing regular maintenance yes its true if you do regular maintenance that's good. But I will tell you first hand a filter is not just a filter. The cheap ones can cause damage over time specially on how cheap they are made. I used frame ones on my 01 dakota for years well the last 5 years i had all sorts of engine issues and i did regular oil changes and did what ever the truck needed when it needed it. Wished i would have used a wix or some like it. So it does matter. you buy cheap you get what you get

Some of the later model Chrysler engine designs are known for sludging up, ya cant blame the filer for that.

• Like 1

lynnmor

The Hemi engine has a serious lubrication issue with parts running dry, I wouldn't touch one with a 20 foot pole.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
5 hours ago, bcgold said:

IMO if you followed the manufactures maintenance schedule for filter replacements it wouldn't matter which brand of filter you used as long as the numbers cross over.

I routinely cut filters open to inspect for metal particles magnetic and non magnetic types. Shiny chrome specs possible bearings, brass would be bushings or thrust washers or piston slippers, black particles in moderation could be considered normal wear.

4 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

Doing regular maintenance yes its true if you do regular maintenance that's good. But I will tell you first hand a filter is not just a filter. The cheap ones can cause damage over time specially on how cheap they are made. I used frame ones on my 01 dakota for years well the last 5 years i had all sorts of engine issues and i did regular oil changes and did what ever the truck needed when it needed it. Wished i would have used a wix or some like it. So it does matter. you buy cheap you get what you get

I bought the NAPA Gold 1521 cross referenced from the factory part number. Thr guy at NAPA said it was rated at 21 micro s which somebody on here said would work fine. My concern of question is the red I see down in the holes on the filter. Do you guys think that may be a type of check valve or something(you know like some oil filters have) that may cause damage to an Eaton 1100 hydro ?O can take it back and get the WIX 51410 or NAPA 1410...what say you ?

20201009_174907.jpg

20201009_174925.jpg

squonk

Yes. Take it back and get a 1410. 1521 is an engine oil filter. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
33 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I bought the NAPA Gold 1521 cross referenced from the factory part number.

Take it back, it is an automotive engine oil filter!

Princi

Wix 51521 & Napa 1521 Oil Filter

Retail Price: $10.99
Price per filter: $6.36

Availability: Filter in Stock

Discounts

Save 10% for $125 order: $5.73
Save 20% for $200 order: $5.09

Quantities

Filters per Case: 12
Filters sold single or by the case

ple Application:

Principle Application: Alfa-Romeo (86-93), Nissan Cars (67-89), Porsche (70-76), VW (71-83), Bobcat, Case, David Brown, Doosan, Ford, J.C.B., Komatsu, New Holland Tractors, Nissan, Toyota Forklifts

Horse Newbie
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

Yes. Take it back and get a 1410. 1521 is an engine oil filter. 

Thanks guys for the information...this is why I come here first before I do anything to my 520H. You fellas can save me a lot of heartaches.

I'm just basically going through the tractor, cleaning it up, and trying to get the engine running with fresh oil, filter, fuel system clean up...that way when I get it going I can check some issues I had when I bought it about 3 yrs ago.

• Like 2

Armadyllo

If anyone is still curious about what's inside a Toro Wheel Horse xi transmission oil filter - here are some details.

Edited by Armadyllo
  • Like 1

kpinnc
On 10/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks guys for the information...this is why I come here first before I do anything to my 520H. You fellas can save me a lot of heartaches.

I'm just basically going through the tractor, cleaning it up, and trying to get the engine running with fresh oil, filter, fuel system clean up...that way when I get it going I can check some issues I had when I bought it about 3 yrs ago.

You can use a traditional filter in a pinch, but the problem is that most folks don't service transmissions the same way they do engines. When I got my Bronco, it still had a WH filter on the tranny, and it was about 2006. No local shops here for years prior to that. Point being, if you use an engine filter and don't change it after a while, the bypass can open and you'll just be circulating trash in your hydro. 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
47 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

still had a WH filter on the tranny, and it was about 2006.

Just last November I changed out a WH filter that had a date code of January '06 on it!

image.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Sad 1

Armadyllo
Posted (edited)

I know there is always pressure and encouragement to buy the original part because it's the best, it's tested, you want to take care of your machines etc. etc. but on the other hand we know there are other options at least equally good and some parts really aren't available on some markets.

In the UK the original filters from Toro cost around £27 which to me it seems quite pricey. Napa 1410 is not very easy to find either.

My father is using Donaldson P550940 for at least 5 years now and after hundreds of hours of use he never had any issues.

I can get this filter for less than half the above cost and it's always a good deal when we buy it in pair with the engine filter - Donaldson P550335 [I don't work for Donaldson :rolleyes:]. 26.JPG.c074b756a4516524416a45e6ba73c849.JPG

EBYX9686.JPG.ca34e4cecc5143cc3947c758ad885d12.JPG1792732789_Toro-wood.jpg.7f402d0a66293903d05ecde72420961f.jpg

Edited by Armadyllo
  • Like 3

C-85

I found all this info on oil filters to be very interesting!  I have been using some Fram filters, but I think I'll stop doing that now!  I wish all oil filters had what micron they filter down to, this info seems very hard to find.  I worked at Advance Auto for a year or so delivering parts in my retirement and was puzzled by their CarQuest filters.  They had a regular one, and then a premium one, but no indication on what was the difference, I guess except for the price.  The Fram filters I've bought in Walmart have regular ones and then a couple of other more expensive ones, but there again, the packages don't say what microns they filter to or what the quality difference is.

C-85

image.jpeg.ea2279f3891e6ae487a3579f6e26fe39.jpegimage.jpeg.eff829c84b4f8fa8759ba909058f7c4d.jpeg

• Like 1

c-series don

The owner of my local Car Quest is a good friend of mine. I’m going to ask him what the difference is between the red and blue, I’m confident that he will know. He will not BS me. I’ll also ask him who makes them for Car Quest, and post the answers on this post. 

• Like 2

Armadyllo

Donaldson says their filter P550940 is rated at 17 micron.

Stens 120-265 which is shown on eBay as an alternative to Toro 79-5270 is rated at 16 micron.

Another option from Hydro-Gear which is also an alternative to Toro, rated at 16 micron.

I am not sure what's the micron rating of the original part from Toro.

WHX??

Donaldsons are supposed to be good filters. My big tractor had them throughout OEM. 

Trouble is not many local place around here have them. 

Only place was the dealer and they enjoy quite a margin on them. 

Wonder if they are rebranded? 

squonk

Dodnaldson is a good filter.

I can tell you the difference between Napa Gold and what they call "Pro Select  is a couple of less pleats and sometimes the color of the shell. That's it.