nylyon

K301 crankshaft wiggle

nylyon

I picked up a really nice 312-8 with a Magnum 12 (K301).  The engine had a vibration which occurred after a wheelie landing. I removed the PTO as well as the drive pulley and took this video.  Sorry for the shakiness what do you think?  It seems to wiggle only in one direction, the other direction does not wiggle.  A little tough to see, but you can see it if you're looking.

Martin

Karl,  hard to tell but looks like the outer end of the crank you are holding is moving more than at the bearing/seal area. looks to me like it is loose on the flywheel side from the movement in the video. would check there, could be a damaged/bad bearing plate or something in that vicinity. you have some weight on that side from the flywheel, it could have broken the crank at the flywheel bearing, maybe?

does the engine run fine other than the vibration?

was it your wheelie landing or the po?

Edited by Martin

nylyon

Next is to check the flywheel side.  Originally I wasn't going to mess with it until I finished another project, but I had a few today and decided to remove the pulley.  I have that same thought, that it may be the flywheel side.  No, it wasn't my wheelie, and this is how I got the machine because of this issue.  The tractor starts and runs great, drives wonderful and aside form this issue, the PO never would have gotten rid of it.  I suspect that a crank bearing is bad, and if it's on the flywheel side that would be awesome since it's easier to fix there.

When I brought it home, I removed the flywheel screen and wiggled the flywheel but didn't notice movement on that side.  I have to remove the shrouds though for a better test.

ol550

I'm with Martin on the end moving more on the end than at the case.  With that much movement

you would see the flywheel move a lot.  My money if I had any would be a broken crankshaft. :banghead:

• Like 1

nylyon

My money if I had any would be a broken crankshaft. 

That's where I leaning at the moment.  I took off the flywheel shroud and I could wiggle that side as well, but when I did, Brittany didn't see the bell side move.  I am thinking broken crank as well at this point.  I don't have the time to tear it apart at the moment to confirm, but that's what I am thinking.

• Like 1