IndianaMatt

John Deere 110

IndianaMatt

Ok I know its not a Horse and I know I don't need another tractor...

I found a beautiful little 110. The only flaw I can find on her is a cracked grille. Oh and the fact that it sank in a pond... It was all drained out at the time and fresh oil put in the engine and rear end. That was 5 years ago the tractor has sat ever since. The engine oil still looks brand new. I can buy her for $150 bucks. Im not sure of the year but I don't think its a really old version. What do you guys think? I don't know much about green stuff.

Thanks Matt

Desko

Go for it!! :)

Racinbob

That sounds like a great deal. My Dad bought one new in 1968. I think it was a 110 but may have been a 112. I don't know why he strayed from red but didn't keep it long before he replaced it with a Raider 12. The tie rod ends kept breaking, the carb flange broke and there were several engine issues. Now, I'm not going to say it was a bad tractor because it wasn't. But there was a certain 14 year old boy who would connect a wire to the governor and race it on a short 'dirt track' behind the woods making turns so hard and fast that the corners looked like they had been plowed. I think that would be called extreme abuse. I'll keep the identity of that boy to myself. :hide:

:wwp:

Racinbob

Oh yea, if it was properly serviced after the swim it should be fine. I totally submerged a GT1100 on a frigid super bowl Sunday one year. Other than pulling the seat cover off to take insideI had to wait for the first thaw to take care of it but all was fine.

IndianaMatt

I feel I should add that the owner has never ran the tractor since the swim. I do not think he pulled the plug out to drain the water from the top of the piston... He isn't a very mechanically inclined person. He also has a Deere SX75 its a rear engine little thing "think snapper". It runs but smokes like crazy and burns as much oil as gas. It has 9hp KAW engine and I called a Deere dealer about parts and they are not available. I can buy the cute little fella for $25 bucks. It is clean as a pin and looks great. Any Ideas???

T-Mo

Deere made a few different 110s, so it depends on which one you're talking about.  The legendary round fender 110 is one, made from 1963 to 1967.  These will have either a 7 hp or 8 hp K-series Kohler (depending on year), either a 3 speed (63-64) or a 4 speed (65-67) Peerless transmission with variable drive, either mechanical lift or hydraulic lift (options for 66 and 67).  They're highly sought after.  Then there is the square fender 110, 1968 to 1974.  Basically a round fender 110, but with square fenders and updated pto setup.  The last few years of this line, the 10 hp K241 was also offered along with the K181.  The square fenders are beast, but not as sought after as the round fenders.  Then there was the L110 made just last decade.  Not as durable, not a garden tractor, more plastic, cheaper engines and transmission.  I wouldn't waste my time on one of those.

Wheel-N-It

Not a bad investment for the 110. That is if it's beautiful as you stated. My advice Matt is if you are just getting started collecting LAGT's don't get yourself spread too thin on these tractors. For me overall its best to stick with one brand. If you get spread too thin with too many different brands they can become more of a headache than a joy. I'm happy to hear you are still on the hunt !

IndianaMatt

It is a square fender version with a 10hp mechanical lift and 4 speed variable speed I still haven't committed I know it isn't going anywhere so no hurry to buy.