PaulC

12hp magnum vs 14hp magnum

PaulC

Hey Guys I have 2 312's, a 1987 A and a 1990 H both with 12hp Kohler Magnums. The 312A has 1175 hrs on it and smokes and burns oil quite a bit, still runs good but leaves you stinking pretty good by the time your done. A rebuild is definitely in order but......

I like most of you watch local CL and found a early 90's 314-8 that someone is selling with a 14hp Magnum. Tractor is not in the greatest shape but that's fine because I just want it for parts mainly the motor. Don't know a ton of info on it yet including not knowing the hours but I am told it runs great and is mechanically sound just has cosmetic issues. So I am contemplating buying this 314-8 stripping it down for backup parts and transplanting the 14hp onto one of my current machines.

What are the community opinions on this idea? How much stronger is the 14hp then the 12hp? I only mow with 42" decks and blow snow with 42" blowers so the 12's really do just fine, there has only been a handful of times where I thought I could use more power. My thoughts are this would save me from rebuilding a motor right now and id get a machine with a lot of good parts and a currently good running stronger 14hp motor. I would think id put the 14 in my "H" which is all redone and my main machine and then take the 12 that's on the "H" and put it on the "A" then just put the smoking 12 in the corner for a possible future rebuild.

I welcome all opinions. And if I were to do this would the 14hp magnum swap right out with the 12 without changing anything?

Thanks Paul

• Like 1

doc724

If the price is right, I would go for it.  I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that the motor is a drop in.  In any case, the transaxle would be useful to someone and you may be able to get $100-$150 for it

Racinbob

No alterations will be needed. 12hp is plenty of power but I suspect that yours may be down on power some given the condition. You may notice a nice increase. Sounds like a great swap to me if the donor is priced right.

PaulC

Thanks guys and I do think this could work out good. It seems like the downfalls of this potential new tractor will work to my advantage pricewise. I wont know more for another week or so as the seller is out of town so I figured I would take this time to get some other professional wheel horse opinions.

Bob given your post if this does work out and I end up getting the 314 should I bother swapping the 14 onto my strong running 312-H and then that motor onto the 312-A? Or just swap the 14hp with the smoking motor on the 312-A?

Racinbob

That would be your call Paul. With both motors in top condition I don't see where there would be any advantage in doing a double swap. The 14 is a bit more powerful so if you really wanted it in the 312-H the swap is quite easy. I'm not sure if the PTO is the same on your two and the donor but even if it isn't it still will be a direct swap. You'll have all the parts you need and things will bolt right up.

• Like 1

PaulC

The 312-H is my main machine and the one I would do the majority of my snowblowing with as it has hydraulic lift and I recently installed the hydro pedal kit in. Here in Buffalo we can get some decent snowfalls and the 12hp handles it but im wondering if the 14hp could do a bit better? I want to put a foot pedal for the hydro on my  "A" eventually but it still only has manual lift which is pretty tough to lift the snowblower attachment. The pto's on both of mine now are identical and I would think the one of this 314 is as well.

If this works out I think it would be good for the extra parts but if not maybe I should just stay focused on rebuilding the 12hp magnum that has the smoking habit.

Wishin4a416

Im not sure but the electrical guys will know. I thought the 10 and 14's were unregulated while the 12 is regulated so you might need some wiring changes.

I know my 10 magnum is not regulated but my 12 Magnum is. Just not sure about the 14.

Wheel-N-It

Without being there looking at the two, I'd say its all just unbolt one and bolt in the other when you are talking abut 12 and 14 horsepower magnums.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Yup, what Van said!

Fordiesel69

All the advice above is great, I will also mention that the 14HP magnums have a larger exhaust valve, which is basically the same diameter as the intake.  This will make the exhaust note quite a bit louder under a load.  Loud in which ear protection is actually needed, not desired. 

leeave96

You might give the 314-8 a test run just to see how you like the 8 speed. The gear ratios on the Wheelhorse are great IMHO. If you find the 314-8 is a good, then you could swap the hood and fender pan sheet metal over to the 314-8 from your 312-A to freshen-up the tractor. A two tractor plan is great and a hydro and gear drive are nice to have in the fleet.

Good luck,

Bill

PaulC

Hey Forddiesel I see on your tractor list you have a 312 and 314, is the power difference noticeable or minimal? Is there anything that makes you like one vs the other? The only thing you mention is that the 14 is quite a bit louder which doesn't seem to desireable. I like the idea of the extra parts but I don't really need them and don't have an abundance of room so if rebuilding my smoking 12hp is the best option then that is what I would want to do?

Bill I started out with a 312-8 that was my grandpas and now my dads and for my property and what I use my horses for I don't think I would ever own another gear shift tractor. I agree about the 2 tractor plan or 3 or 4 :) but my fleet will consist of hydros.

thanks for the advice guys

Fordiesel69

I have an M12 and M14 and the hydro is said to rob 2 HP from the engine leaving the rest for the pto.  So there is no difference at all.  However when I put the M14 on the 8 speed tractor, there is more torque it seems, the engine bogs down, but not as much.  I have nice magnums that I beleive are still at full power.  I also have another pair of M12 and M14 that are used as spares, and they have worn carb bushings so the governors do not respond as well.  But I can tell a little difference when the grass gets thick.  On a 42" you will not see as much as the 48", you will really hear the M14 come to life when the governor swings wide open pulling a hill with heavy grass.   

My personal opinion is the M14 is the best you are going to get, as the M16 is so rare, I have never came acroess one.  They were mostly twin cylinder by that point.

The sound is not an issue, I just wanted to mention it.

can whlvr

I have 2 of each,i like my 12,s but would take the 14,s all day long and would choose the 14hp before the 12