minimorris77

Beginners Paint Gun

minimorris77

Ive decided to bite the bullet and get a paint gun for my upcoming restore. I don't want to spend over $75 for a paint gun. I want to hear about what everyone else is using. Ive done a little research and learned a little but still a newbie. What type of gun is recomended? (Hvlp?) I'm not worried about how fast it puts paint out as I'm still learning and it should help me focus on techinque but I want a nice smooth finish.

rmaynard

HVLP gravity fed gun from Harbor Freight. With coupon as little as $12.00 on sale. Painted all of my horses with one of them. So inexpensive that I buy 2 or 3 at a time just to have a spare on hand in case one gets clogged or dirty.

• Like 1

minimorris77

HVLP gravity fed gun from Harbor Freight. With coupon as little as $12.00 on sale. Painted all of my horses with one of them. So inexpensive that I buy 2 or 3 at a time just to have a spare on hand in case one gets clogged or dirty.

Can I spray straight up with a gravity fed gun? Sometimes you need awkward angles to hit all the corners with out touching wet parts..

pacer

Yes on the HF gun - for $12-15 you just cant beat it (No, you probably wouldnt want to paint your prized Corvette) I use one for 6-8 paintings, discard it and get another.

Surprisingly, they will paint quite well at pretty severe angles when they have a full or nearly full cup. Something to note - when finished spraying its almost imperative to disassemble the gun head to clean, flushing with thinner just will not clean it enough.

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Don't forget your 25% off coupon for Harbor Freight.  

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harbor-freight-coupon-thread

Scroll down a few pages and you'll see the coupons you can print.  They also list the free item coupons there. 

minimorris77

Wow, this seems like a no brainer. Thanks everybody!!

in my opinion , the Binks  # 7 is the best...i've had mine for over 30 years and painted many cars and a few airplanes with it

redrooster

You can Google how to adjust your hvlp gun and get a lot of good info. This is the first time for me using a hvlp gun on my current t restro. I strongly suggest you practice on something else first. I used single stage nasson acrylic enamel. This paint is very expensive.