Cocky_Rocky

267H starting issues

Cocky_Rocky

1997 267H

Hello forum! First post because I need advice. My son was mowing last weekend and hopped off the tractor while the pto was engaged. When he got back on it wouldn't start. We eventually figured out it had blown the main 30 amp fuse. I won't go into detail how many places I stopped to get some new 30 amp fuses, but I did get a pack and put one in and it blew as soon as the switch was turned. I jiggled some wires, checked some connections, installed a new fuse and it blew also. Jiggled more wires, checked more connections, installed a new fuse... This time I was able to get it to the run position without blowing the fuse, but it still won't start. Doesn't crank at all. I have checked the seat connection, pto connection, looked for frays on easily visible wiring, pulled relays and inspected... I'm not sure where to turn at this point. So in a nutshell, it was blowing the main fuse but now the fuse stays intact but the tractor won't start. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

rmaynard

First thing you need to do is get a manual with a wiring diagram. Without that you are working in the blind. I'm not sure if it is covered, but the electrical demystification guide may cover your model. It is available in the manuals section of this forum.

Cocky_Rocky

First thing you need to do is get a manual with a wiring diagram. Without that you are working in the blind. I'm not sure if it is covered, but the electrical demystification guide may cover your model. It is available in the manuals section of this forum.

Yes, I have a wiring diagram that was in the original paperwork that came with the machine when I bought it, and the demystification guide supports my model, but electrical systems are not my strong point. I was hoping another member had a similar experience and could point me in "a " direction. I do own a multimeter as well, but I have never used it to troubleshoot an electrical issue.

Cocky_Rocky

Anyone?

chazm

1st :text-welcomewave:

Well, since the problem started when your boy left the pto engaged ,I would disconnect the wires to it to see if the pto is shorted out & blew the fuse

Next use a test light or your multimeter to find if you are getting power to the starter- If no power to starter when the key is turned on, work your way back to see if there is a solenoid in the system.

If there is, ck for power from the key switch to the solenoid - this would be a starting point & get back to us with your findings  :thumbs2:

Cocky_Rocky

OK, I checked starter for power, it's getting the correct voltage. I checked the pto terminal for voltage AND the plunger switch itself for continuity, no problems there. But when I check the connection at the safety switch in the seat, there's voltage to the connector but no continuity through the seat switch-a-mabob itself in an all systems go condition (i.e brake set, weight on seat, key switched to "on"). So at this point I suspect the safety switch in the seat. Although I do remember seeing the words "seat safety bypass" or "jumper" somewhere on here and will go search as soon as I'm done posting, if anyone cares to chime in with a link to a bypass for that safety or anything else related to the matter, please feel free to comment. Thanks everybody so far!

Cocky_Rocky

Turns out it was the PTO switch. Re-wired plug to utilize the unused terminals on the switch, no expensive parts required. Just a lot of time, time, time, time...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.