fredwook

Rustoleum problem

fredwook

I am spraying rustoleum with an HVLP gun and thinning with mineral spirits

as directed. The paint has laid down great, but is dull after drying. It is very dull

compared to some pieces that I sprayed with a rattle can. Am I over reducing

the paint or do I need to reduce it more? Any opinions welcome.

Fred

stevebo

If you add a hardener it helps with the shine. I never reduced with mineral spirits nor have I sprayed with rusto before tho. 

oneroadkingman

I've sprayed with Rustoulium before and thinned it with mineral spirits And I had a pretty decent shine afterwards. Might be a touch too thin.

Edited by oneroadkingman

Tankman

Never had a problem using Rustoleum Regal Red.

I did however, on occasion, after a thorough drying, use crystal clean for an "overcoat." Worked fine but, had problems if I tried to spray before the Regal Red was dry, and I mean DRY! 

• Like 1

oldredrider

As Tankman said, the paint has to be VERY dry. A light buffing will bring out the shine too.

squonk

Over thinning will dull enamels

Zeek

They can also get dull if sprayed in high humidity conditions.

pacer

As others have mentioned, its probably a thinning problem. First off, Rustoleum doesnt need much thinning, along with getting a dull finish, it makes for getting runs too easy, but, not enough causes problems also - like orange peel. Another is the type thinner (technically its actually "reducer") I've found the plain jane thinner at the big box or wally store just doesnt work very good. I tried acetone one day trying to improve finish and found it worked much better and have since only use it - it also shortened drying time. Getting the proper ratio of thinner/paint can be a finicky thing and experience helps, temperature and humidity is a big factor but adjusting for it can be difficult to describe.

After TSC dropped their paint and I moved to Rusty, I have come to really like it, getting some really nice finishes...

Edited by pacer

tarcoleo

Second Squonk about over thinning.

Racinbob

I'd agree about the thinning and also the humidity. Thinning might even magnify the issue in high humidity. I'm not going to be able to get much painting done on my Suburban now that summer has arrived. We just won't get any breaks from the humidity until fall arrives.

fredwook

Thanks guys. I will use less thinner and try another coat. I may have to wait till fall for

lower humidity also. I am right on the coast and our himidity has to be the worst.