rmaynard

Older Kohler Engine Tag Mounting

rmaynard

Does anyone know what these are called, and if they are still available?

post-2221-0-46359700-1403026783_thumb.jp

I don't want to use Pop-Rivets or screws. I would like to find originals.

oldredrider

They are called "rivets". Try Google.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Actually they are not exactly what I want. These do not explode. They have no center pin. The part inserted is already slightly expanded, and holds by spring pressure.

post-2221-0-54843900-1403099920_thumb.jp

Martin

I think what Bob is looking for is slightly different. You don't use a pop rivet tool to install them.

Bob, I found a few of these for mine by stealing from some of my junk engines. They are removable with a tool that pushes the "legs" on the back of them together and they just come out. I just found a very small metal tube to push over the back of them.

That's the best way to get the id tags off without damaging them as well. You run the risk of damaging the id plate drilling them

I'm not sure where you would buy new, I just cleaned up and replated the originals.

Edited by Martin

rmaynard

That's what I usually do myself. They come out easily with just a push from the inside, then snap back in after you have cleaned or re-plated them. My problem is that I apparently lost two of the little critters in the driveway while disassembling the engine in the fall, and have plowed lots of snow since. I think they have returned to the earth.

Hopefully I can find a couple at the show tomorrow.

Martin

I'm sure there will be a shroud or two there with them, if you get stuck I'm sure I have some here I can send out to you......Might get some more plated when I take my next bucket of bolts in.........

Bob, while I'm a little younger than you, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I spend way too much time crawling around on the garage floor looking for pieces just like these!!!!!

They always end up being right in front of you, (that's if you didn't mistakenly kick them across the floor......)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jebbear

I know this is an old thread, but in the course of my 856 project I found myself in need of one of these engine tag rivets(?) for a Kohler 8 HP. I am missing only ONE and wondering if anyone has a source for these things. Can't seem to find an old Kohler engine shroud locally & wondered if anyone might have some of these laying around? Thanks.

rmaynard
48 minutes ago, jebbear said:

...wondered if anyone might have some of these laying around? 

I will look tomorrow. I have a couple of old shrouds, but I don't know if they have any push rivets left in them. Can't get to them today as I am just about to leave for the rest of the day.

jebbear
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

Can't get to them today

Thank-You. There is no hurry. My resto is still a work in progress, this is just one of those "little" details that has been bugging me.

rmaynard

I haven't forgotten about you. I'm still looking for a K161 cover that I know is around here somewhere. I have some boxes that are currently blocked in and I can't get to easily. I will be moving them soon and will hopefully find what I am looking for.