Sign in to follow this  
snowhound

K341 Muffler removal

snowhound

My K341 has a bad muffler gasket and I know removing the mounting bolts from the engine can be difficult.  Does anyone have any words or wisdom to help me with this and what brand of penetrating oil do you recommend

Snowhound.

pfrederi

PB Blaster or Kroil work about eqaully well.  PB smells worse.  Take your time let it soak for several days. (drilling and retapping a broken bolt/stud in the engine block is not a fun project.)  There is some new stuff i haven't tried that is basically a freezing spray...may be worth a try.

snowhound

Paul, thanks for the reply. I had been using PB Blaster so I continued today being the fourth day and still wasn't having any luck but I had to get the lawn mowed. I put in my hearing protection an ran the tractor for about 2hrs.  I let it set for about 15 min. when finished then hit the bolts with PB waited 10 min. and tried the bolts, they both came out without much effort.

Ed

• Like 1

Trouty56

I have read that dipping the bolts in milk of magnesia will prevent the bolts from locking up....better than antiseize will under heat...

This was first suggested by a member here......