Red-Bovine

Rear weights for 520H

Red-Bovine

I am thinking about dedicating our 520H to a snow removal machine. We have a 44" two stage blower for it and would like to add some weight to the rear. Is there a bolt on bracket out there to put on the tractor so I can hang a few suitcase weights on it? 

Thanks,

Red

P3x

post-4076-0-28106900-1402923082_thumb.jpHi Red,

I was looking for the same and lucked into a used Berco Rear Counter Wt setup for Wheelhorse tractors. It mounts on the lower tranny attachment fitting. I think they may still be available for WH.  Sears sells them and may be able to get them for a 520.  Here's a picture from the Sears site:

Nice setup.   Good luck.

p3x

Red-Bovine

Thanks! I will check it out!!

Red

Forest Road

I have a 2" receiver hitch from Scotty Moreau. It's complete overkill for our tractors and worth every penny! I made a frame that has room for 4-44lb John Deere suitcase weights. I found an old weight box that hangs on it as we'll. The box is large enough to carry more weight if necessary and a 5 gallon fuel can. It makes a tremendous difference with my 314h and 2 stage.

Photo bucket isn't cooperating this morning. I have posted pics in the past.

Edited by Forest Road

squonk

I have a Berco weight bracket set up that I'm bringing to the show. I'm keeping the weights but with a welder and some steel could probably fit anything.

Edited by squonk

rexman72

he will need something with that 44 inch blower in the front as those blowers weigh 400 pounds

Red-Bovine

Typically, we did fine for 20 years without the extra weight. We have the Toro Wheel Horse wheel weights on the back now, but last year the driveway got really iced up and my hubby was having some trouble getting up the slope in the driveway. Since we are thinking about a ZTR mower, I thought it would be nice to set the 520H for snow. We put the Honda motor on it last year, so we do want to keep it. We're getting to the point where we no longer want  to crawl under it to swap things out every year. And I'm looking into getting a nice ZTR with 4 wheel suspension to ease my weary bones. We have a lot to cut and there are some rough spots that really shake things up.

The receiver sounds nice, but once we set up for just snow, I would rather have a simple bracket for a few suitcase weights. We would still need a weight holder. The setup at Sears does not specifically say it is for a Wheel Horse and I am reluctant to order something I'm not sure of.

Red

rexman72

you might have to fab the sears up to the 520

Forest Road

I had to fab my weight holder. The receiver just makes attaching it a breeze.

Photoshop is cooperating!!! My bracket is pretty basic. One flat piece if steal holds 2 weights on each side of the box. I had the box from an old factory ballast kit. Easiest way to go is with a ballast box of sorts. That way you can use any weights you have available.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af69/skimore74/E7368063-489A-47B1-9880-243167074216-688-00000079AB1D9176_zps6c64dcbf.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af69/skimore74/243F0A04-A894-4DE3-81F6-E83635F240B7-688-00000079999F658D_zpsfac0a6eb.jpg

Edited by Forest Road

Red-Bovine

Look's really nice, just more than I need. I'll see if something pops up that is a little simpler, or I might need to get the receiver mod and then get a weight box. If it wasn't for that one bad winter we had last season, this issue would never have come up. Dang Global warming!!! LOL

Red

rexman72

you need to yell at us power plant engineers because  we are putting everything into the air, not 

Red-Bovine

I know!!! 40 years at We Energies. Spent a lot of time in the coal fired plants. They didn't like the nukes, now they're trying to shut down the coal plants! YIKES!!! I guess we need to put up a windmill or a bicycle generator so I can produce power while I'm resting!!!LOL

Red

• Like 1

Forest Road

Hah! The company I work for in NJ just spent millions on scrubbers for all their coal plants. Put up a bunch of solar panels all across the sate. And in the past year an application for a third nuke.

So back to your Honda horse have you considered filling the tires. It's an easy 80lbs per wheel and no mods.

Red-Bovine

I thought about that, but it could be a nightmare if I ever have a puncture or leak. It could be a mess for someone if we ever sold the tractor and they wanted to use the mower deck. 

Red

doc724

If you can get a receiver mounted onto the tractor, Heavy Hitch has weight boxes that will slip right in and accept the 41 pound JD weights

Red-Bovine

I may crawl under that tractor and see what I can fabricate. I think with a little angle iron and some U-bolts I might be able to come up with something. Maybe a little welding, too!

I'm looking at ZTR's and want to get one that has front and rear suspension (I need a more cushier ride than the old 520H is giving me). Seems none of the Toro ZTR's offer it. I like the Ferris 2100Z with the 52" deck. The Simplicity Cobalt is nice, too, but only is offered with a 61" deck. I'm used to the 48" deck on the 520H and not sure I would like the larger deck. We have some slopes and tight areas that might make the bigger deck unwieldy. Any thoughts!!

Red

P3x

Hi Red,

Sorry, I was not clear in my response.  I do not have pictures of the Berco rear counter weights installed on my tractor. The pictures included from Sears was for example purposes only.  The PN on my bracket states it is a W7006KD.  I think they may still be available from Bercom under a different PN.

I have removed the wts from my tractor and are in off season storage.  I culled some info from this site posted by other members to figure out how to install them. I do not have the links but have some pictures (attached).  I do not remember the member(s) names who posted them but a Big Thanks to them!

p3x

post-4076-0-55067700-1402969510_thumb.jp

post-4076-0-87844900-1402969520_thumb.jp

Red-Bovine

Thanks!!! That will help me a lot in either trying to locate one or fabricating one.

Red

gwest_ca

Believe there is something in these for the weight bracket

Garry

Red-Bovine

Thank you!!! I will try and hunt that bracket down.

Red

alswagg

I added 30 gallons of RV antifreeze to the rear tires.    That is 264 lbs of weight sitting on the ground.  I simply run 5 psi of air on the liquid.  Easiest way to add weight to the rear.  RV antifreeze is biodegradable and drinkable if you want.  No risk to your pets if you happen to get a leak.  I have now installed 4 ply and 6 ply rear tires 4 ply in the dozer 6 ply in the back hoe. 

Forest Road

What size rear tires are you running? Narrower the better for snow removal. It's all about maximum ground pressure.

As for filling tires you can go with a solid compound available at an industrial tire supply. It'll never leak. Last price I had in NJ was approx $75 per tire.

Red-Bovine

Thanks for the ideas!! Some things to consider.

Red

leeave96

I may crawl under that tractor and see what I can fabricate. I think with a little angle iron and some U-bolts I might be able to come up with something. Maybe a little welding, too!

I'm looking at ZTR's and want to get one that has front and rear suspension (I need a more cushier ride than the old 520H is giving me). Seems none of the Toro ZTR's offer it. I like the Ferris 2100Z with the 52" deck. The Simplicity Cobalt is nice, too, but only is offered with a 61" deck. I'm used to the 48" deck on the 520H and not sure I would like the larger deck. We have some slopes and tight areas that might make the bigger deck unwieldy. Any thoughts!!

Red

Here are a few thoughts. If you are slipping on ice, it's probably not so much a weight issue. Even ag tires can slip on ice. Chains rule on that front IMHO.

As far as having dedicated tractors for a given chore and not changing out implements - I think that's a good idea. One thing I can tell you having had other color tractors, it doesn't get much easier than the Wheelhorse. The Berco might be somewhat harder to mount - never used one, but the single stage snowthrower is a breeze to mount.

Not to discourage you from a zero turn - but my Dad tried one after about 50 years using a steering wheel on everything and couldn't do it. I struggled with it too and he bought a Simplicity Prestige (which now has suspension similar to the Ferris - same parent company, Briggs and Stratton) with power steering and foot control. He LOVES that tractor!!!!!

Another option is to find another 520H and equip it for snow or mowing. That way you have a tractor that is identical to the one you got - less the engine, and you have common knowledge between the two for trouble shooting and even spare parts if you get in a jam on a weekend when everything is closed.

Good luck,

Bill

Red-Bovine

Thanks for the tips, Bill. We do have the spiked chains like p3x has in his pic above. For some reason the ice was really bad last year after a rain and a freeze and then a big snow storm. I think this was the first time Rich had trouble getting back up the drive while snow blowing. It may be a fluke and not worth worrying about, but since we are setting up the 520H for snow duty, I thought maybe we could prepare it for any bad storm. I have used equipment with the handles to control the drive and kinda like the zero turn stuff.

Red

Edited by Red-Bovine