Sign in to follow this  
bell

633 with hh120

bell

Well, I spent the better part of the past 2 days installing the hh120 in the 633. I had no problem doing this, as I was assured it was a "good engine". I made a mounting system to mount the WH starter/ generator...

633026.jpg

633027.jpg

633028.jpg

633029.jpg

Then I pulled the engine and re-drilled the mounting bolt holes... They were a little off. (the p.o. mounted the engine)

633031.jpg

Then I spent a couple hours wiring it, hooking up the throttle/ choke cables, fitting the drivebelt, etc...

It started right up... and started smoking (oil smoke) :banghead: I thought it would probably come out of it... as it has been sitting for a long time. Well, it didn't.

I also noticed a strange rattling sound coming from the crankcase... it is not a steady rattle, and it comes and goes as you change RPM.

Also, as with all of these tecumseh engines that I run across, the throttle shaft is extremely worn and it WILL NOT hold a tune... You get it tuned in and running just right and then move the throttle and you're back at square 1.

I am amazed at how well it fits though... the drive belt cover even bolts up in the proper place with NO DRILLING...

633025.jpg

633024.jpg

I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it....

I will either rebuild the HH120 ($$$$$$$$$$, if I can find parts),

Find a Kohler (8hp most likely),

Buy a new Honda engine for it (would probably cost the same as rebuilding the hh120,

or put a carrol stream diesel in it....

I am leaning towards the Kohler right now... If I have to rebuild an engine, I would rather rebuild a Kohler.

JimD

that's a nice, solid tractor, i would agree with you about the kohler. best dang engine there is, imo. what more can you tell about the carroll stream diesel? i've really thought i would like a diesel in one of my built like a tank horses. would it be easy, expensive, a lot of fab involved? good luck with your project, jim.

bell

Well, as far as I can tell, the diesel would be a easy swap... The only problem is that the one I want is about $500 shipped. :banghead: I could build one HECK of a Kohler with $500.....

My only concern (other than the $) with the diesel... it is made in China. Therefore, it would be hard(er) to get parts for.

bell

Well, I do have some good news about the HH120....

A guy that I work with needs parts for his.... and he bought it off of me. :horseplay:

Good riddance..... :banghead:

zieg72

Well, I do have some good news about the HH120....

A guy that I work with needs parts for his.... and he bought it off of me. :horseplay:

Good riddance..... :banghead:

Interested in a K161??

bell

Interested in a K161??

VERY! Message sent!

saguaro

Question about the diesel. Does it operate at the same RPM?

bell

Question about the diesel. Does it operate at the same RPM?

Yes, I believe it is 3600 rpm.... I'll post a link in a bit.

saguaro

cool. Been thinking about going with a newer engine myself. That big engine did look good.

saguaro

It would sound good with diesel chug, torqe and tongevity. :banghead:

Thanks for the link.