Sign in to follow this  
evanloock

551 Throttle Cable

evanloock

I removed the throttle cable on my 551 and found why it wasn't adequately pulling the engine throttle. The control knob assembly has a sleeve that fits over the cable casing. This has a small crack where it was crimped over the cable. This in turn allows the entire cable/casing to move up and down when moving the throttle control. It looks like the fix might be to braze the connection between the cable casing and throttle control sleeve. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? What was your solution?

Thanks!

BPjunk

Eric,

To braze that small of a item .... ya' might want to have a jewler do the soldering. Pulling out the cable will not work as you would have to cut off the crooked end and shortening this throttle cable would make it usless as it would be too short for the chassie after cutting.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

linen beige

I'm not familiar with your particular cable setup, but you may be able to slip a small piece of brass tubing up the cable and around the sleeve to tighten it up. If so, just "tin" the inside of the brass tube before you slide it into place and solder it into final position.

HorseFixer

Take some pictures of your problem and post them. So's I can see what the problem is better. You dont need a jeweler ya need me! :banghead: I am pretty handy with a torch and silver bearing solder been doing that for over 30 years. I also do alot of fine tig welding on small parts. Me came out of me mammy with torch in hand :omg:

Cheers Duke :USA:

evanloock

Thanks for the replies!!! I took the cable to the local jeweler up the road (before I saw HorseFixer's post). If they can't accomplish the repair I will be in contact HorseFixer!!!! Thanks again!!!

Eric