redpath42

Diff Pinion Interchangability, Swap: 520-H, 1-0120 Commando Raider

redpath42

First Post, Hi,
Somebody (no names, you know who you are, junior) has been using reverse as a brake on Grandaddys Commando (?) (1-0120, s/n 131202, 1"d/shaft).
I found seven diff pinion teeth in the bottom of the case. But the rest of the box and diff is ok.
A dealer in Michigan is offering a ring gear and 8 pinions from a 520 H on Ebay for very handy money.
These pinions have the same number (101623)in parts lists for both the 520 and the 1-0120.
Trouble is, the dealer wants twice as much international freight on that lot as he does for a complete electro 12 diff/drive shaft Assy.
So I'm wondering whether the pinions off the 520, although they look the same as mine in the photo, are loads bigger? Or if it's just his Friday afternoon guestimate postage?
Anybody see a problem if I use 4, keep 4 spare?
Appreciate hearing your ideas before I start winging bits of differential on expensive 14 day journeys back and forth across the Atlantic,
cheers,
redpath42
And many thanks to gwest_ca for posting these lists.

stevasaurus

If they are the same part #, then they are the same part...and interchangeable.  I would send a PM to Mike (racinfool40) and ask him...he might even have the parts you need.  :)

• Like 1

redpath42

Thank you, Stevasaurus for your fast reply, and for the nod to Mikes email, this sounds promising,
cheers,
redpath42

racinfool40

Yes the pinions will interchange I have some here if that is all you need...I am surprised if you have teeth laying in the Bottom of the trans that the axle gears actually survived...Let me know what all you need...I do ship overseas but I only use the international flat rate boxes...Let me know... :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Mike!!!  Redpath...you are in good hands...Mike is right about checking those axle gears.  If you end up getting the parts from Mike...you want to get it all in one shipment.  :)

redpath42

Guys, you've been brilliant, thank you all.
I've been reading more posts here and see if I reverse the pinions (+maybe bit of welding?)there might be just enough teeth to lock the diff for one rough cut.of the lawns
That gives me time to look for a doner tractor, (heard there MAY be one from a barn fire coming up this month.) Otherwise I'll be back here with my visa card.

Mike,

Yes, I could hardly believe it, ripped a quarter of the teeth off one pinion, chewed up the others but the suns and ring lightly scored. Seems like the pinions  worked like very expensive shear pins

Thanks again,
cheers!
redpath42

• Like 1